white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Name:  pic.png
Views: 48
Size:  64.0 KB

Can anyone explain to me why the first bullet point says activating the sympathetic nervous system, as I thought muscarinic 3 receptors were only in the parasympathetic nervous system?

Thanks!
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by white_o)

Can anyone explain to me why the first bullet point says activating the sympathetic nervous system, as I thought muscarinic 3 receptors were only in the parasympathetic nervous system?

Thanks!
I think it's a misprint (I'd suggest asking the lecturer). Other than that, I suppose pilocarpine could cause sweating as M3 receptors on sweat glands are innervated by sympathetic nerve sells which secrete Ach (and people with sjogren syndrome can have dry skin) but that doesn't make sense within this context as it seems to imply that the increased salivation is a result of sympathetic nervous activation.

Just a small point, pilocarpine is a non selective muscharinic agonist. Why do you seem to think it specifically targets M3 receptors?
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by white_o)
Name:  pic.png
Views: 48
Size:  64.0 KB

Thanks!
You're right, muscarinic receptors are found in the parasympathetic nervous system - the only exception to this rule is in sweat glands, which are innervated by sympathetic cholinergic fibres.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?