Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "The country is not crying out for engineers. It is crying out for engineers in certain niche areas to work for relative peanuts (peak of earnings 30 something k for a 50-60 hour week plus commute unless you are one of the luck few to make it to management). I always see this nonsense on every article on underemployed graduates and it is usually written by people who know very little about engineering employment (or can only see what is known as the inverse problem)"

This was one of the top comments from the Gaurdian piece on graduate jobs. This is the article title "Half of recent UK graduates stuck in non-graduate jobs, says ONS". Now Another BBC article, Engineering graduates 'taking unskilled jobs', really puts things into perspective.

I don't know where people get the we need 2,000,000 engineers by the year 20xx figure. Iv only been a graduate engineer for 2 and half years now and I can say from my experience and my friends this is not true. It's even shown on pay, if there was a shortage pay would go up, but according to the BBC report just this week, median pay after 5 years is 7k less than an economics degree holder. BBC report title The degrees that make you rich... and the ones that don't.

To really help my point I will now define a Labour shortage:

In its narrowest definition, a labour shortage is an*economic condition*in which employers believe there are insufficient qualified candidates (employees) to fill the*market-place demands*for*employment*at a mostly employer determined wage.

'determined wage' as I have seen the issues is not enough engineers, its not enough cheap engineers.

Also a popular term is hire and fire in engineering. An oil and gas company starts a project, 6 months later price crashes, project is cancelled. Most the engineers, will be contractors, but they lose their jobs. It's why many people don't stay in engineering.

Please think carefully before choosing your degree and make sure you are passionate about your choice. Even a high paying career when you hate the job is not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Iv miss spelt a few things and made other errors. Apologies, it's 2 am it's difficult doing this from a phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhasa)
    Iv miss spelt a few things and made other errors. Apologies, it's 2 am it's difficult doing this from a phone.
    A very interesting read and I can definitely agree with your points. What makes me laugh is you'll see many of these so called "top" companies saying they don't have enough engineers and they are trying to increase the number of engineers they have (by running STEM campaigns in schools etc.) yet they are the same companies that put dumb things like several psychometric tests which reject pretty much most of the talent pipeline.

I still cannot wrap my head around the concept how a bunch of silly online tests describes ones ability as engineer to do well on a job. It's complete nonsense and it's exactly why I'm going to try to go abroad once I finish my education.

What industry are you currently working in? I take it you hate your job from your description :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    A very interesting read and I can definitely agree with your points. What makes me laugh is you'll see many of these so called "top" companies saying they don't have enough engineers and they are trying to increase the number of engineers they have (by running STEM campaigns in schools etc.) yet they are the same companies that put dumb things like several psychometric tests which reject pretty much most of the talent pipeline.

I still cannot wrap my head around the concept how a bunch of silly online tests describes ones ability as engineer to do well on a job. It's complete nonsense and it's exactly why I'm going to try to go abroad once I finish my education.

What industry are you currently working in? I take it you hate your job from your description :lol:
    In manufacturing currently. Yes big corporation demands alot and once your in your pay stalls and Ur working 50 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhasa)
    In manufacturing currently. Yes big corporation demands alot and once your in your pay stalls and Ur working 50 hours a week.
    Food manufacturing or?

Wow expected it to be better tbh. I have noticed though that many companies underpay their engineers massively. Like I saw one company asking for an MEng but were paying £23k like what (it's a huge company as well).... My first ever graduate job was an offer of £25k and that's even without an MEng.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.