Turn on thread page Beta

18 year old girl is too attached to me (I am 27) watch

I am currently doing my masters in Australia coming from the UK. I am 27, I did my undergraduate in the UK when I was 20 to 23 since then I've been working on various jobs and travelling abroad so I've moving around quite a bit so never have had a serious relationship because of this, I have had flings in he past but I always stopped before it led anywhere.

It felt strange going back to uni after a long with the student lifestyle going to different parties, most of the time the students are younger than me so it bit feel a bit weird already been through it and these guys are still discovering themselves.

I made friends with a young 18 year old Aussie girl who came to one of the students parties on her own, she is a stunning girl but extremely shy and naive so I kind of took her under my wing. A lot of the guys really like just want to have sex with her, in a private conversation she had me she said she was a virgin so the reason was saying no these and as a friend I protect her from these guys. As our friendship grew she would come around mine to hang out or we would go somewhere. I understand she struggles making friends because all new to her but she never talks to anyone else, if we're with other people she would just sit there not talking. Sometimes when there are other girls who I'm just chatting with, she'll get annoyed. I can tell the way she acts she's jealous and wants all my attention on her, I know she has a crush on me but yet to ask her about it. I haven't gotten with other girls because I know if will upset her.

Also because she's a virgin a part of me would feel like I should get with her so that she would have a best friend as a first who isn't using her. I move around a lot I don't know if I'm staying in Australia after my masters so dumping her like her would only upset her. Plus the girls I go are usually close to my age and more mature so I don't think it's a good idea personally.

I don't know what to do. Basically I just want your suggestions, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, just stay friends.

If you pipe her she's only going to get even more attached which will ruin everything, especially if you don't plan to stay in Australia after your masters.

all of that aside there's a massive mental age difference between 18 and 27... I think an 18 y/o and a 27 y/o "dating" is just extremely weird... but it's not illegal..

it's your call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am currently doing my masters in Australia coming from the UK. I am 27, I did my undergraduate in the UK when I was 20 to 23 since then I've been working on various jobs and travelling abroad so I've moving around quite a bit so never have had a serious relationship because of this, I have had flings in he past but I always stopped before it led anywhere.

It felt strange going back to uni after a long with the student lifestyle going to different parties, most of the time the students are younger than me so it bit feel a bit weird already been through it and these guys are still discovering themselves.

I made friends with a young 18 year old Aussie girl who came to one of the students parties on her own, she is a stunning girl but extremely shy and naive so I kind of took her under my wing. A lot of the guys really like just want to have sex with her, in a private conversation she had me she said she was a virgin so the reason was saying no these and as a friend I protect her from these guys. As our friendship grew she would come around mine to hang out or we would go somewhere. I understand she struggles making friends because all new to her but she never talks to anyone else, if we're with other people she would just sit there not talking. Sometimes when there are other girls who I'm just chatting with, she'll get annoyed. I can tell the way she acts she's jealous and wants all my attention on her, I know she has a crush on me but yet to ask her about it. I haven't gotten with other girls because I know if will upset her.

Also because she's a virgin a part of me would feel like I should get with her so that she would have a best friend as a first who isn't using her. I move around a lot I don't know if I'm staying in Australia after my masters so dumping her like her would only upset her. Plus the girls I go are usually close to my age and more mature so I don't think it's a good idea personally.

I don't know what to do. Basically I just want your suggestions, what should I do?
    You don't even know if she even wants to **** you, aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly i️ wouldn’t feel bad about talking to other girls or leaving or anything at all —it seems like this girl needs a serious reality check. It’ll probably be best for her
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you should probably friendzone her and keep her at arm's length. if she gets too intense/obsessed, tell her kindly that you want her as a mate, it's not you it's me etc. Meanwhile, do what you want with other girls.

But you already know that.

What you will probably do is sleep with her at some point, because you want to, even though you'll most likely end up ****ing her over. Meanwhile, doing what you want with other girls.

Not passing judgement, I'm just being real with you

ReputationRep:
    I feel that it is pathetic that you're holding your life back because of this girl. Who cares if it upsets her it is apart of life she will come to accept it and move on like a normal human if you were to get with another girl.

Also what makes you feel obligated that because you're her best friend you should have sex with her? Chances are she will want to be in a relationship and want commitment, even if you tell her that you don't want a relationship and she still sleeps with you she will most likely become more jealous and possessive over you when you speak to other females and still hurt her mentally. And if you're into girls similar to your age and mature then it is a shi**y idea if you were to have sex or get into a relationship with her. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have sex with her that's both your choices and problems of course and it might even make her learn from her mistake if your friendship ends up breaking apart or if you leave.

I was just like her when I first started out in college shy,quiet, struggling to make friends but as time went on I became more talkative and open, I made mistakes and I learned from them and they helped me grow as a person and I am sure she will as well.

Now keep in mind this is just my opinion and assumption on how things may turn out.

ReputationRep:
    wowwww really....

(Original post by Sarah24601Helen)
    I feel that it is pathetic that you're holding your life back because of this girl. Who cares if it upsets her it is apart of life she will come to accept it and move on like a normal human if you were to get with another girl.

Also what makes you feel obligated that because you're her best friend you should have sex with her? Chances are she will want to be in a relationship and want commitment, even if you tell her that you don't want a relationship and she still sleeps with you she will most likely become more jealous and possessive over you when you speak to other females and still hurt her mentally. And if you're into girls similar to your age and mature then it is a shi**y idea if you were to have sex or get into a relationship with her. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't have sex with her that's both your choices and problems of course and it might even make her learn from her mistake if your friendship ends up breaking apart or if you leave.

I was just like her when I first started out in college shy,quiet, struggling to make friends but as time went on I became more talkative and open, I made mistakes and I learned from them and they helped me grow as a person and I am sure she will as well.

Now keep in mind this is just my opinion and assumption on how things may turn out.
    Well she doesn't hang with anyone else so I am her best friend i guess, it will horrible to dump and leave as she'll be on her own and despite her flaws she's a nice girl.

What you said is what i'm worried about that's why I haven't slept with her, I am foreigner to this country enjoying my time I don't need drama to spoil it having someone blocking it but at the same time I don't want to ruin someone else's experience and I understand from her POV why its hard.

ReputationRep:
    pretty soon you will want to stop the crazy student party lifestyle and settle down to raise a family. this young lady sounds ideal wife material.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some questions, Are you her pity friend or are you a real friend to her? Do you have any feelings towards her that you did with girls you dated in the past?

My suggestion is that you shouldn't get into a dating relationship nor sleep with her. With her being shy,naive and possibly childish the outcome will turn out poorly for the both of you and will indeed cause drama, even you know it will cause problems which can be easily avoided. I'm not saying that you should end your friendship I'm saying that your relationship with her should never further.

She probably needs somebody to help her gain confidence and become comfortable in social situations, if you are willing to go out of your way, maybe convince her to join a club/activity with you that involves socialization and teamwork?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.