swarry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I am Comp. Science student on a year abroad, and am trying to choose between intro. to OS class or fundamentals of information systems (which is basically about databases). I haven't done anything on OS before in my uni, however had Intro. to databases in my first year. The fundamentals of IS here is 3rd year class so I expect it to be more advanced to what I have done before.

The question is, I am interested in pursuing more data analysis related path in future i.e. maybe crossover of ML and DS, so what class would be more sensible to take, OS or IS ? I understand IS might be more relevant to what I want, however at the same time I believe OS is very useful on more general level.

What would you pick?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swarry)
Hi,

I am Comp. Science student on a year abroad, and am trying to choose between intro. to OS class or fundamentals of information systems (which is basically about databases). I haven't done anything on OS before in my uni, however had Intro. to databases in my first year. The fundamentals of IS here is 3rd year class so I expect it to be more advanced to what I have done before.

The question is, I am interested in pursuing more data analysis related path in future i.e. maybe crossover of ML and DS, so what class would be more sensible to take, OS or IS ? I understand IS might be more relevant to what I want, however at the same time I believe OS is very useful on more general level.

What would you pick?
I think both are useful. Depending on the kind of company you work for, either will benefit you. Pick both if you can but if you can't then pick the one that interests you the most.

I work in IT for a telecoms company so OS and IS fundamentals are looked at a lot; it was the same for my previous company too.
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swarry)
Hi,

What would you pick?
Probably database module. Many of the big data frameworks ( like Cloudera or Hadoop) will need understanding of databases.

That said, machine learning does not necessarily require database knowledge. It requires for the most part understanding of mathematics and statistics used in machine learning. Your dataset may or may not come from a nice clean database.

ML may require a good understanding of high performance computing too, so the OS module may be slightly useful in that sense. I would suggest that neither module is really necessary for ML though.
swarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
I think both are useful. Depending on the kind of company you work for, either will benefit you. Pick both if you can but if you can't then pick the one that interests you the most.

I work in IT for a telecoms company so OS and IS fundamentals are looked at a lot; it was the same for my previous company too.
Thanks for the reply! I'm still torn, but I think I'll go with OS, since I had introductions to databases already. For me it's matter of refreshing the memory.
swarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by jestersnow)
Probably database module. Many of the big data frameworks ( like Cloudera or Hadoop) will need understanding of databases.

That said, machine learning does not necessarily require database knowledge. It requires for the most part understanding of mathematics and statistics used in machine learning. Your dataset may or may not come from a nice clean database.

ML may require a good understanding of high performance computing too, so the OS module may be slightly useful in that sense. I would suggest that neither module is really necessary for ML though.
I appreciate the answer! I know they are not necessary. I have already enrolled onto calculus class and statistics class. The rest of the more ML related classes require pre-requisites that I don't have unfortunately. It's all down to OS and IS now for me. Thanks anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads