Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Sounds Better: Pounds or Percentages Watch

• View Poll Results: What Would You Go For on Black Friday?
    Save over £X00
    66.67%
    Save over over 20%
    0%
    Get over £X00 off
    33.33%
    Get over 20% off
    0%

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Black Friday is upon us this week (and I have the rather unfortunate task of working in a supermarket from 1pm-11pm in a 24 hour supermarket:cry:).

This got me thinking: say you saw a deal on some stuff, what would you rather go for - a deal which mentioned saving over X hundred pounds or saving over 20%

I personally would go for X hundred as it sounds larger but say it was a product with different specifications (phone, laptop, tablet, car, etc), that number would only be true for 1 spec ,whereas the percentage would apply for all the range

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Black Friday is upon us this week (and I have the rather unfortunate task of working in a supermarket from 1pm-11pm in a 24 hour supermarket:cry:).

This got me thinking: say you saw a deal on some stuff, what would you rather go for - a deal which mentioned saving over X hundred pounds or saving over 20%

I personally would go for X hundred as it sounds larger but say it was a product with different specifications (phone, laptop, tablet, car, etc), that number would only be true for 1 spec ,whereas the percentage would apply for all the range
    Pounds because most people don't know how to work out 20% or say whatever percentage of an amount so I won't attract the customer. Whereas pounds being dropped from original price may attract more customers because they can actually see what deal their getting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)

I think X hundred pounds is better, but if a deal is less than £100 off (i.e. a smaller item), it'd probably be better to say percentage off.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the numbers are. I'd say that for an individual item (say it costs £1000), "£200 off" sounds better than "20% off", but if it has to apply to an entire range (or even the entire store) where prices vary, it'd be easier to just say a blanket percentage (e.g. "Everything on this shelf is 20% off").

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.