The Student Room Group

Memoirs of a Scatterbrain

nounnoun: scatterbrain; plural noun: scatterbrains

a person who tends to be disorganized and lacking in concentration.

Well, here it is. My entry to the GYG 2018. I’m probably too late for this since I’m in Year 13 and I finished my AS last month and I will be finishing my A2 in January. But the whole idea of writing down the entire end to my A levels is quite intriguing, its almost like an epilogue. (I'm quite dramatic and this can't be the end of studying but its less of a bore when i break my studying life into different tiers so I can mark my successes and failures along the way.)

For starters, the word 'Scatterbrain' is the best word I can find to describe me. I am your student nightmare. Lost notes, incomplete works and awful memory. My worksheets, notes and stationary constantly take impromptu trips to Neverland and the Bermuda Triangle and never return. I am a huge procrastinator and day dream quite often. I cram for exams last minute. Despite the fact I have never failed an exam in my entire life, the thought that if I actually tried to study, I might get amazing grades always nags me. It's absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

My voyage upto here has been a spiraling weird mix up of the best days of my life and the worst. I have lived through being the best in my class to nervous breakdowns and being completely antisocial. I have always been a science enthusiast and love learning. I absolutely love philosophy and I'm interested in a lot of subjects. I learn through teaching others and being taught visually. This has ended with me teaching a few topics to my classmates at school instead of the teacher bc he needed a nap... I have a wild imagination and prefer to treat my studying life as a real life war!

Past papers are trial practice battles and helpful friends who share the notes are allies!

One of my motto is:

"Education is the best provision for the journey to old age." Aristotle
I'm doing Edexcel A-Levels for the following subjects:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

I have finished my AS with AAA. But last month, I decided to resit them again to get better grades. AND THE REAL BATTLE BEGINS! (cue war music; The Final CountDown) A2 IN JANUARY!

My current goal is to slay my A levels and get a scholarship to do MBBS. The endgoal is to become a cardiovascular surgeon.

In order to do this, I need AA*A* minimum. (Whew, I'm internally screaming.)

Hobbies:

Watching Anime (No, Im not a weeb.)

Listening to Indie Music and Metal. (I'm also a music hoe despite the fact I'm musically impaired)

Reading newest Science news and using science pick up lines and bad dad jokes.

Dancing my worries away

Gardening

Painting

I'd be doing a follow up of my study plans and helpful websites. And that's a wrap! Cheerios. Hmu if you need help because I'd love to lend a hand or a leg.

21/11/2017, Tuesday

Day started out with me waking up super late. I was up late last night watching Orphan Black which I probably shouldn't have but series are so distracting because you almost die trying to figure out what happens next. Every ending is such a cliffhanger and before you know it, you would have binge watched 2 seasons. This is probably not the best thing I should do with my A2 exams a month away. To make amends, I have created a study plan.
It was a pain to create one considering how I barely have stationary. I take trips to the bookstore every week to buy them and I still end up losing them. Part of the blame goes to my little siblings; 11 year old, 6 year old and 4 year old. So I first created a sheet of all the topics I need to cover. I gave myself deadlines and rewards if I complete them on time. This is to make sure I don't miss out on anything. (Remember: Eating is very important, atleast for me. So I managed to eat 1 kilo of grapes (this is my weakness) while doing all this. Also a chips can and some nuts.)

I'm in system lock down when it comes to socializing. Haven't hung out with my mates outside and the only (limited) contact is through Snapchat and Facebook. Social Media is my Achilles Heel. I have a lot of friends and considering Male',Maldives is a small place with everyone using social media, its quite distracting. Also, yes the memes you have seen about Maldives being a place where you almost have heard of everyone your age is very true. I have almost heard of everyone my age there is to know because Maldivians go bananas for social media.

The next step was: Creating a calendar from this month to up until my exams end. I highlighted the exams and time of each exam and subject(s) I was going to be studying each day.This helped me figure out how much time I had left and how to distribute my time efficiently to make sure I cover everything before the exam.

It's important to cover topics before doing past papers. If I did have a lot of time I would have learnt each topic one by one and finish topical questions as soon as I cover them. thttp://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ has good topical questions with mark schemes for all exam boards. I like watching Youtube Videos to learn concepts. @Dr.PhysicsA covers everything one needs to do A level physics. Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA.
I watch Bio videos from Crash Course and Tailored Tutors (I received a newsletter from TSR, Tailored Tutors allow a free trial on biology videos.)Links: https://academy.tailoredtutors.co.uk/courses/enrolled
https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
I search for chemistry videos usually separately but haven't found one single channel which posts everything. I also teach my 11 year old sister most of my syllabus, teaching others seem to increase my ability to remember what I have to learn and I can grasp the content more. TSR has really good revision notes as you already know and I'm simply overwhelmed by the knowledge flowing at me. I also love Stafford Valentine Redden's Biology books. (This is only for Edexcel A Levels). He has compiled only the things which would be assessed in exams in a very easy way.

Step 3 was: Creating a timeline of the pastpapers I would need to complete.
With my limited time, I decided I am gonna do the papers from 2012 to 2017 June. WHEN DOING PAST PAPERS, I TEND TO CHECK THE MARKSCHEME WHENEVER I DONT UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION AND THIS IS A HORRIBLE HABIT. I HAVE BEEN AVOIDING THIS BY NOT DOWNLOADING THE MARKSCHEME UNTIL I FINISHED THE WHOLE PAPER! (heheheh)

And woah my productivity for the day stops there. I think I will do Physics Unit 5 today. I already studied Astrophysics and Simple Harmonic Motion yesterday. So gonna do Gravitational Fields and Particle Physics today.
ps. I tried to add pictures of the schedules and notes I made but an error keeps popping up so I will try again later perhaps.
Here are some typical pickup lines I usually use when i study Unit 5. (No creepiness intended, if you dont appreciate pickup lines you may ignore this)

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I love the title of your blog! :lol: it's brilliant. I'm glad you decided to write about the final hurdle in your subjects, you're almost there so now it's all about keeping the focus.

Original post by Krebcycle

Gardening

Painting

I love gardening and painting too. What plants do you grow?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Captain Jack
I love the title of your blog! :lol: it's brilliant. I'm glad you decided to write about the final hurdle in your subjects, you're almost there so now it's all about keeping the focus.

I love gardening and painting too. What plants do you grow?

Hahaha thank you. It's me honestly. Really! That's amazing. About plants, I'm a murderer though i wish i wasn't. Just went through 4 funerals last week. A baby orchid, a succulent (still not sure how that one died), a lilly plant and a fern. I'm trying to grow indoor plants now since i live in Maldives and my gardening space is my house.
Bit confused. You got AAA at AS but want to resist them for better grades?

Surely an A is more than enough and you’d be better off focusing on your A2’s? 🤔
(edited 6 years ago)
Hahaha thank you. It's me honestly. Really! That's amazing. About plants, I'm a murderer though i wish i wasn't. Just went through 4 funerals last week. A baby orchid, a succulent (still not sure how that one died), a lilly plant and a fern. I'm trying to grow indoor plants now since i live in Maldives and my gardening space is my house.

I’m the completely same! I love them dearly get always seem to have them die on me... Whoopsie.

I’ve lost 2 cacti thus far. Cacti. That like, hardly need watering. I’m that bad of a parent 😂
Reply 5
Original post by FloralHybrid
Bit confused. You got AAA at AS but want to resist them for better grades?

Surely an A is more than enough and you’d be better off focusing on your A2’s? 🤔

I'm trying for our governmental scholarship. AS has three units for each subject and I got around 100/120 which is an A from most units. AS and A2 results are added to get the final grade. I guess i'm hoping for marks close to full marks which universities like Oxford and Cambridge give priorioties for. AS is easier than A2, so if i get above 108 in all of the units and i do well in A2, I will be sure to get A* for the final grades. I already finished AS resits in this october. So now i'm focusing on A2 which i will do in january.
Reply 6
Original post by FloralHybrid
I’m the completely same! I love them dearly get always seem to have them die on me... Whoopsie.

I’ve lost 2 cacti thus far. Cacti. That like, hardly need watering. I’m that bad of a parent 😂

Hahaha yess! I can't even take care of cacti. Even though it's supposed to be low-maintenance... In my case, I either forget or love them too much.I'm definitely not ready to be a parent. :frown: Such a shame because I love gardens and plants.

Scatterbrain
nounnoun: scatterbrain; plural noun: scatterbrains

a person who tends to be disorganized and lacking in concentration.

Well, here it is. My entry to the GYG 2018. I’m probably too late for this since I’m in Year 13 and I finished my AS last month and I will be finishing my A2 in January. But the whole idea of writing down the entire end to my A levels is quite intriguing, its almost like an epilogue. (I'm quite dramatic and this can't be the end of studying but its less of a bore when i break my studying life into different tiers so I can mark my successes and failures along the way.)

For starters, the word 'Scatterbrain' is the best word I can find to describe me. I am your student nightmare. Lost notes, incomplete works and awful memory. My worksheets, notes and stationary constantly take impromptu trips to Neverland and the Bermuda Triangle and never return. I am a huge procrastinator and day dream quite often. I cram for exams last minute. Despite the fact I have never failed an exam in my entire life, the thought that if I actually tried to study, I might get amazing grades always nags me. It's absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

My voyage upto here has been a spiraling weird mix up of the best days of my life and the worst. I have lived through being the best in my class to nervous breakdowns and being completely antisocial. I have always been a science enthusiast and love learning. I absolutely love philosophy and I'm interested in a lot of subjects. I learn through teaching others and being taught visually. This has ended with me teaching a few topics to my classmates at school instead of the teacher bc he needed a nap... I have a wild imagination and prefer to treat my studying life as a real life war!

Past papers are trial practice battles and helpful friends who share the notes are allies!

One of motto is:

"Education is the best provision for the journey to old age." Aristotle
I'm doing Edexcel A-Levels for the following subjects:

Biology

Chemistry

Physics

I have finished my AS with AAA. But last month, I decided to resit them again to get better grades. AND THE REAL BATTLE BEGINS! (cue war music; The Final CountDown) A2 IN JANUARY!

My current goal is to slay my A levels and get a scholarship to do MBBS. The endgoal is to become a cardiovascular surgeon.

In order to do this, I need AA*A* minimum. (Whew, I'm internally screaming.)

Hobbies:

Watching Anime (No, Im not a weeb.)

Listening to Indie Music and Metal. (I'm also a music hoe despite the fact I'm musically impaired)

Reading newest Science news and using science pick up lines and bad dad jokes.

Dancing my worries away

Gardening

Painting

I'd be doing a follow up of my study plans and helpful websites. And that's a wrap! Cheerios. Hmu if you need help because I'd love to lend a hand or a leg.

Oh my gawd I'm absolutely in love with your blog! I felt like I was reading my life story until you described your AS grades :| Whale, you see, being a scatterbrain and a last-minute crammer - I absolutely f***ed up my AS and yes, I'll be resitting them in the Oct/Nov of 2018 - life was really all sunshines and rainbows before that tragedy unrolled :'^|
However, now that I've come across fellow allies of all walks of life on this very platform (a.k.a TSR) I have nothing to fear or stand in my way :'D And neither do you! So lets try our best to absolutely slay the incoming deadly A2 examinations! It's a game between our puny, brave selves and the abominable, the devil itself - DUNDUNDUN - The Examiners! (Be it the ones at school or the ones at the CIE headquarters)

I give you a deep, dank salute and wish you and our other war torn allies the best of luck on this arduous journey towards everlasting success!

p.s Same subjects! :'D Also, for the sake of eternal knowledge, what anime do you watch, lmao? And what kind of indie music? I really like Son Lux :| It's a phase, trust me :| Sorry if this'll lead to higher procrastination levels but we need to chill sometimes too 😇
p.p.s Cardiovascular surgeons are absolutely amazing :'O Hope you get there because I bet you will >:^D I'm going for a dietitian, because I heard you can procrastinate while your patients go grocery shopping lmao
I love how you're so enthusiastic about this! I'll definitely look forward to your progress and study pl- blueprints to tackle the enemy lines. Keep it up m8, we're all in this together! I'll share revision tips if I can get my hands on'em, there's really brilliant ones on here, look up 'The Ultimate Revision Guide' here on TSR. They were lit. :| And if you've got some, please do share! Your mates and allies are forlorn! (at least, I am lmao)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Amylololol
Oh my gawd I'm absolutely in love with your blog! I felt like I was reading my life story until you described your AS grades :| Whale, you see, being a scatterbrain and a last-minute crammer - I absolutely f***ed up my AS and yes, I'll be resitting them in the Oct/Nov of 2018 - life was really all sunshines and rainbows before that tragedy unrolled :'^|
However, now that I've come across fellow allies of all walks of life on this very platform (a.k.a TSR) I have nothing to fear or stand in my way :'D And neither do you! So lets try our best to absolutely slay the incoming deadly A2 examinations! It's a game between our puny, brave selves and the abominable, the devil itself - DUNDUNDUN - The Examiners! (Be it the ones at school or the ones at the CIE headquarters)

I give you a deep, dank salute and wish you and our other war torn allies the best of luck on this arduous journey towards everlasting success!

p.s Same subjects! :'D Also, for the sake of eternal knowledge, what anime do you watch, lmao? And what kind of indie music? I really like Son Lux :| It's a phase, trust me :| Sorry if this'll lead to higher procrastination levels but we need to chill sometimes too 😇
p.p.s Cardiovascular surgeons are absolutely amazing :'O Hope you get there because I bet you will >:^D I'm going for a dietitian, because I heard you can procrastinate while your patients go grocery shopping lmao
I love how you're so enthusiastic about this! I'll definitely look forward to your progress and study pl- blueprints to tackle the enemy lines. Keep it up m8, we're all in this together! I'll share revision tips if I can get my hands on'em, there's really brilliant ones on here, look up 'The Ultimate Revision Guide' here on TSR. They were lit. :| And if you've got some, please do share! Your mates and allies are forlorn! (at least, I am lmao)

AAAAAAAHHHH! Wow found my first Ally huh? Sage advice from a novice: JUST BECAUSE YOU SCREWED UP YOUR AS ONCE DOESNT MEAN YOU CANT SLAY THEM AGAIN! I mean pretty sure you just threw all your artillery and weapons half assedly at the enemy but atleast you survived with a whole body and ran away. Get up those big guns up and running with upgraded weapons for the next encounter. I'm sure that you will do great when you resit and all the best! May the force be with you. :wink: I have friends who have gotten Us in AS at their first try but they got As after resitting.
And I love your personality already! I return your dank salute because you have the rocks to be part of the winning team.

Anime huh? My absolute favorites are The Fullmetal Alchemist, (also the Brotherhood part of this), One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Black Butler, Noragami, Neo yokoi, and i cant remember more..
Omg dont get me started on Indie Music, IndieAir is my favorite music channel on Youtube. Dean Lewis, WILD, Chord Overstreet, Chet Faker, Halsey, and sooo much more.
Ah no worries, i aint judging but i have never heard of Son Lux but will check it out. Hey, dietician is a great field. I'm probably becoming a doctor because i get to chop up people and say stupid stuff but okay maybe bc the human body is amazing and its really cool to help someone get rid of an annoying disease.
YESS PLEASE CHECKOUT MY BLUEPRINTS AND PARTICIPATE IN WAR DECISIONS. I'm glad you checked this out.
AAAAAAAHHHH! Wow found my first Ally huh? Sage advice from a novice: JUST BECAUSE YOU SCREWED UP YOUR AS ONCE DOESNT MEAN YOU CANT SLAY THEM AGAIN! I mean pretty sure you just threw all your artillery and weapons half assedly at the enemy but atleast you survived with a whole body and ran away. Get up those big guns up and running with upgraded weapons for the next encounter. I'm sure that you will do great when you resit and all the best! May the force be with you. :wink: I have friends who have gotten Us in AS at their first try but they got As after resitting.
And I love your personality already! I return your dank salute because you have the rocks to be part of the winning team.

Anime huh? My absolute favorites are The Fullmetal Alchemist, (also the Brotherhood part of this), One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Black Butler, Noragami, Neo yokoi, and i cant remember more..
Omg dont get me started on Indie Music, IndieAir is my favorite music channel on Youtube. Dean Lewis, WILD, Chord Overstreet, Chet Faker, Halsey, and sooo much more.
Ah no worries, i aint judging but i have never heard of Son Lux but will check it out. Hey, dietician is a great field. I'm probably becoming a doctor because i get to chop up people and say stupid stuff but okay maybe bc the human body is amazing and its really cool to help someone get rid of an annoying disease.
YESS PLEASE CHECKOUT MY BLUEPRINTS AND PARTICIPATE IN WAR DECISIONS. I'm glad you checked this out.

YESSSSS THANK YOU FOR THE GLADIATOR-LIKE MOTIVATION! I'll get going and polish my guns and ammunition and prepare myself for - *intimidating war music* The Final Battle that we'll all be facing soon enough! The first siege that we'll have to encounter in my area is due February! So I think you'll need to get your battalion, artillery and guard ready just in case because the enemy legions seem to be heading towards your area pretty darn quickly!
On another note, I'm still obsessed with Noragami :| Read the manga and still waiting for the new one, unfortunately ;_;
Got over the others you mentioned xD Attack on Titan and FMA Brotherhood are amaaazing - was hard to get my focus back to the battle ensuing before me (and the consequences were as mentioned before *cough cough*)
And I'll check IndieAir out! I've listened to Chet Faker and WILD a lot xD Great, great music ❤️ Son Lux is not too heard of, but they're more of an alternative/indie band, but I adore their aesthetics lolol.
Other than that, chopping up human bodies is plenty cool dw you'll love it lmao (jk) But in all honestly though, that's a brilliant reason to pursue cardiology - I pursued dietetics for the same reason :'D Help people get rid of annoying diseases but with foood! And as holistic as possible :^> But those with issues like a blocked artery or other CVDs, will find their best friend in you :biggrin:
LOOKING FORWARD TO FUTURE BATTALION UPGRADES AND BLUEPRINTS!
Keep on fighting!

Ooh nice, ferns are the best!

If you live in the Maldives you can grow some great tropical plants :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Captain Jack
Ooh nice, ferns are the best!

If you live in the Maldives you can grow some great tropical plants :biggrin:

I live in the capital city and we dont see soil or sand anywhere except the beach and public parks. It's pretty cramped here, i'm planning to move to a place with a bigger terrace so i could grow them in bigger pots. I used to have my own coconut palms and banana trees in my backyard before.
Reply 12
Original post by Amylololol
YESSSSS THANK YOU FOR THE GLADIATOR-LIKE MOTIVATION! I'll get going and polish my guns and ammunition and prepare myself for - *intimidating war music* The Final Battle that we'll all be facing soon enough! The first siege that we'll have to encounter in my area is due February! So I think you'll need to get your battalion, artillery and guard ready just in case because the enemy legions seem to be heading towards your area pretty darn quickly!
On another note, I'm still obsessed with Noragami :| Read the manga and still waiting for the new one, unfortunately ;_;
Got over the others you mentioned xD Attack on Titan and FMA Brotherhood are amaaazing - was hard to get my focus back to the battle ensuing before me (and the consequences were as mentioned before *cough cough*)
And I'll check IndieAir out! I've listened to Chet Faker and WILD a lot xD Great, great music ❤️ Son Lux is not too heard of, but they're more of an alternative/indie band, but I adore their aesthetics lolol.
Other than that, chopping up human bodies is plenty cool dw you'll love it lmao (jk) But in all honestly though, that's a brilliant reason to pursue cardiology - I pursued dietetics for the same reason :'D Help people get rid of annoying diseases but with foood! And as holistic as possible :^> But those with issues like a blocked artery or other CVDs, will find their best friend in you :biggrin:
LOOKING FORWARD TO FUTURE BATTALION UPGRADES AND BLUEPRINTS!
Keep on fighting!

HEY THAT'S COOL. Also tiny question, to upload my blog do I have to post replies? Or just edit the first one? This is hella confusing.
HEY THAT'S COOL. Also tiny question, to upload my blog do I have to post replies? Or just edit the first one? This is hella confusing.

I think you can go both ways. Some people post them as replies and then add a little 'UPDATE:' to the original post. I, myself am new to this whole blogging thingamajig and if anyone else here knows, enlightenment would be appreciated!

Quick Reply