After my foundation year, am I able to change courses altogether at the same uni?

Watch
bradpock
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I have a feeling this could possibly be in the wrong category.

However, I am currently studying Computer Science with a foundation year at the University of Bedfordshire.

I am just wondering, come next September when I will go into my first year. Will I be able to change courses altogether? So for example, once I pass Computer Science with foundation year, can I change to Law or Economics etc?

I am happy to remain at the same university that isn't the issue.

If anyone can give me some help that'd be great.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bradpock)
Hi,

However, I am currently studying Computer Science with a foundation year at the University of Bedfordshire.

I am just wondering, come next September when I will go into my first year. Will I be able to change courses altogether? So for example, once I pass Computer Science with foundation year, can I change to Law or Economics etc?

You might be able to, but it depends on your other qualifications and how similar the courses are. The foundation year will teach you what you need for that specific degree, so if the course is similar you'll need similar background knowledge. Computer science to law is probably not possible, but law to economics is more likely to be.
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Just tagging in Sheffield Hallam University
(Original post by University Centre Hastings)
x
and
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

Hi @bradpock

You need to speak to your current university to find out what your options are, however you may be able to transfer if the course you want to join does not have any subject specific entry requirements.

Hope you are able study the course you want to do.

Phil
Kruti Popat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Bradpock,

Thank you for your question.

From the Student Finance point of view, you can change your course completely. In terms of your funding, every student is entitled to the duration of their course, plus an additional year of funding so if you have had only one year of study before you switch courses, it shouldn't affect your funding unless you have another repeat year in the future.

Thank you,
Kruti
CRISRD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, Thank you for this answer. I am also interested in changing the University (same profile) after the foundation year with Student Finance. I was wondering if I need first to talk to the chosen University and If I am accepted to talk to Student Finance or to ask first SFE as I won't be able to make any transfer if I am not allowed to. Also, if before changing, my marital status changes would that be a problem for SFE? Thank you. Cristina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (192)
29.58%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (107)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.94%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.86%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.72%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.86%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.24%

Watched Threads