The Student Room Group

S2, D1 or M1?

After talking to my exams officer (I'm a private candidate) I'm changing my units.
I am replacing FP1 with S1.
Now I need a unit to replace FP3. I obviously have S2, D1 or M1.
Anyone have any advice on which I would take?
S2 follows on from S1.... it is not all that hard really.

If you like physics then M1 would work.

If algorithms are your bag the D1...
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
S2 follows on from S1.... it is not all that hard really.

If you like physics then M1 would work.

If algorithms are your bag the D1...

Thanks for your reply.
I'm not really into physics so I think I'll give M1 a miss.
Not sure about algorithms so I'm gonna have to look into that.

S2 may be the way to go.
I've got to learn these two modules from scratch for may 2018 exams. I've nearly finished C4 so hopefully I have time to learn them and get enough revision in.
Reply 3
Obviously it's personal preference but I'm a private candidate and chose D1. I'm also studying computer science and it had a lot of similarities between them which was good! It includes things like finding the shortest route using algorithms and so on. Let me know if you have any other questions about it :smile:
Reply 4
I've decided on s1 and d1.

I've watched through jack Brown's course on YouTube and d1 actually looked interesting so I'm gonna do them.

Thanks for everyone's help
Original post by RuthieG101
I've decided on s1 and d1.

I've watched through jack Brown's course on YouTube and d1 actually looked interesting so I'm gonna do them.

Thanks for everyone's help

Just be warned that a lot of D1 questions are "all-or-nothing". If you screw up something in an early part of the question, you may not even be able to attempt the later parts. If you make careless mistakes, D1 is not the module to do. But it's fun and the algorithms are quite easy to learn.
Reply 6
Thanks for the warning.

I don't usually make silly mistakes and d1 is the last exam and I have 11 days to get it right after my fourth exam. So I should be ok.

Original post by TheMindGarage
Just be warned that a lot of D1 questions are "all-or-nothing". If you screw up something in an early part of the question, you may not even be able to attempt the later parts. If you make careless mistakes, D1 is not the module to do. But it's fun and the algorithms are quite easy to learn.
Thanks for the warning.

I don't usually make silly mistakes and d1 is the last exam and I have 11 days to get it right after my fourth exam. So I should be ok.

Having that gap is nice. I have M2, then D2 three weeks later, then FP2 another 19 days after that! Couldn't be better!
Reply 8
It's a lot better than before I changed units.
I had 2 doubles. So I had 5 exams and 3 exam dates.

Original post by TheMindGarage
Having that gap is nice. I have M2, then D2 three weeks later, then FP2 another 19 days after that! Couldn't be better!
S2 is relatively easier than M1 . However M1 is very conceptional and fun whereas S2 is just remembering certain rules and applying formula .

D1 is the easiest in terms of conception but is very very tedious and boring AF .

I did all three and in my opinion I think s2 is in middle of m1 and d1 for both fun and intensity .
Thanks for your reply.
I've decided on d1 and s1.
I like things that are repetitive
D1 for ease.

M2 to complement physics.

S2 to complement you doing S1.

personally, I'd do D1 because it's easy
(edited 6 years ago)
I did decide on d1 and s1 as my units.
paid for them today, so now its real.
I did decide on d1 and s1 as my units.
paid for them today, so now its real.

D1 is very good to pick up marks
im looking forward to starting it.
I've just got to take my c4 mock and then I'll be working through it.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm not really into physics so I think I'll give M1 a miss.
Not sure about algorithms so I'm gonna have to look into that.

S2 may be the way to go.
I've got to learn these two modules from scratch for may 2018 exams. I've nearly finished C4 so hopefully I have time to learn them and get enough revision in.

If you arent into physics then M1 is definitely not yours.
Thanks for your reply. I decided on s1 and d1
I’m currently doing S2 and I find it just as a continuation of S1... so if you did S1 and enjoyed it/did well then go with S2

However if you study physics then M1 might be an idea... if you’re good at it.

I don’t know much about D1 sorry!
If you want an AS or a-level in further maths, you need fp1.
im not wanting an as or a2 level in further maths. I was doing a level pure maths and found the content too much.
I'm enjoying the d1 module I'm working through at the moment.

Thanks for both comments

Quick Reply

Latest