The Student Room Group

Please help!

I have no idea if this is where I should post this.

So September 2018 I will be enrolling on an Access to HE course.
2019 I will then go on to a Science with an Integrated Foundation Year to then be able to progress onto a Physics and Astrophysics degree in 2020.

That’s the plan 😅

My problem is that I have contacted both the admissions for the Foundation Year and for the Physics department and they’ve given me conflicting advice on which Access course to take.

Originally the foundation admissions told me an Access to Engineering course is best but I’ve just gotten an email from the Physics admissions and they told me that a Combined Science Access is the usual route for someone wishing to go into Physics or other sciences.

I’m super stuck can anyone give me some advice?

I’ve got the syllabus for both courses if that would help?

————————

Access to Engineering

Graded Units

Mathematics:
Algebra
Differentiation
Integration
Functions
Trigonometric Methods
Co-ordinate Geometry

Electrical and Electronic Engineering:
AC Circuit Analysis
AC Waveforms
Applied Electronics

Physics:
Physical Quantities and Algebraic Methods
Fluid Mechanics
Heat and Thermodynamics
Dynamics and Statistics
Properties of Matter
Circular motion, simple harmonic motion and resonance

Ungraded Units

Use of number: Numbers and algebra
Personal development: target setting and reflective practice
ICT: Word processing
ICT: Spreadsheets
ICT: Advanced use of ICT

————————

Combined Science Access

Graded Units

Chemistry:
Structure and bonding
Reacting amounts
Organic chemistry

Biology:
The cell
Exchange and transport of gases
Genetics

Physics:
Physical quantities and algebraic methods
Gravitational and electric fields
Heat and thermodynamics
Dynamics and statistics

Mathematics:
Differentiation
Integration
Algebra
Logarithms and exponentials
Matrices

Ungraded Units

Chemistry:
Periodicity
Energetic

Physics:
X-ray spectra and medical uses of x-rays

Biology:
Diet and digestion
Biological molecules

I am soooooo sorry about how long this is, thank you so much if you’ve read this far 😂
This is quite a niche question. I doubt anyone will be able to help you directly here. I suggest emailing one of admissions people and CCing the other asking for clarification...
I did thanks & I got a good answer.

It was really bizarre because the admissions for the foundation year were super helpful & looked trough the course structure I sent them from the college & told me which was best & why.
But the admissions for the actual degree I want to progress on gave me false information. They looked through the course structure but said they couldn’t advise.

Little bit worrying at how unhelpful they were seeing as their course is my goal after the Access and Foundation year but at least the foundation admissions were amazing

Thanks for replying though 😁
Sounds like you already have an answer, but I'll chip in anyway. I did an Access to HE (Engineering) course a few years ago and progressed directly to year 1 of a physics Msci. The modules you list above on the Engineering pathway are much more tailored to a physics degree than the other. Generally, the more maths the better. Chemistry is somewhat useful, but not essential and biology is irrelevant.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about Access or the transition to a degree course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending