Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've taken my last paper in Uni-thereby marking the completion of my double major in physics and mathematics.
    My background in mathematics is in the pure and applied with the former consisting of Abstract Algebra, Geometry, Analysis and topology.
    My GPA isn't impressive and stands at approximately 4.5/7.0 or approximately 60% on the Australian grade scheme-with distinction being a 70%

In my time in University I have a strong preference to skipping lecture and thoroughly relying on textbooks and sites like math/physics stackexchange to learn.
    On one hand, taking the time to delve deeper into the concepts enables me to acquire a deeper understanding. I absolutely detest the "touch-and-go" style. On the other hand, this means inflicting a severe time constraint on oneself.

I've taken a look at

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...es-mathematics

and it seems as though there are quite a bit of intersection with the subjects I've taken in my time in University.
    The distant learning program also seem to allow me to go at my own pace.

KCL has offered me to enrol into a grad dip in mathematics but it appears less practical considering the same outcome can be achieved with UOL.

I have two questions:

1) What is the level of difficulty for the grad dip in mathematics offered by UOL and overseen by LSE?
    Is there anything of pertinent importance that must be noted?

2) Assuming stellar grades achieved, how much weight does an academic award conferred by a prestigious British institute carries for an applicant applying to the France's Grand Ecoles-and more specifically, to Ecole normale superieure?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by springconstant)
    My first question is why do you want to do a grad dip instead of a masters? The level of maths will be mentioned on the website and if not you can email and ask. The institution you get your degree from matters far less than the rest of your application i.e your grades, PS and references.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    My first question is why do you want to do a grad dip instead of a masters? The level of maths will be mentioned on the website and if not you can email and ask. The institution you get your degree from matters far less than the rest of your application i.e your grades, PS and references.
    The reason is because my grades for my degree isn't stellar-primarily due to an inability to cope with the workload and a struggle with mental health.
    My only saving grace is two letter of recommendation; one from the head of a faculty and the other being the chair of a government research group to testify my dedication and aptitude.
    Even with this, it might be very much insufficient.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The reason is because my grades for my degree isn't stellar-primarily due to an inability to cope with the workload and a struggle with mental health.
    My only saving grace is two letter of recommendation; one from the head of a faculty and the other being the chair of a government research group to testify my dedication and aptitude.
    Even with this, it might be very much insufficient.
    If workload is a problem are you doing something about it in terms of learning to manage it? The same with mental health. You need a support system in place and coping strategies and make sure that you ask for and get help. Grades are key so if you don't meet the entry requirements you will struggle even with stellar refs unless you have extenuating circumstances which can be proved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If workload is a problem are you doing something about it in terms of learning to manage it? The same with mental health. You need a support system in place and coping strategies and make sure that you ask for and get help. Grades are key so if you don't meet the entry requirements you will struggle even with stellar refs unless you have extenuating circumstances which can be proved.
    This question has occurred to me and in fact the conclusion I've arrived at is that there isn't anyway around the workload unless
    1) I reduce my workload
    2) Take either only math or physics.

I have been seeing a doctor for my mental health and taken medication but exams anxieties isn't something that can easily be solved. Questions for which I am able to obtain stellar grade under a non-time pressure situation I commit numerous blunders under a time pressure situation.
    Providing proof of extenuating circumstances would be possible.

However, I do want to bet my dime on these. It appears the best possible way to rectify these mistakes is to obtain a stellar grade for the UOL grad dip in mathematics.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    This question has occurred to me and in fact the conclusion I've arrived at is that there isn't anyway around the workload unless
    1) I reduce my workload
    2) Take either only math or physics.

I have been seeing a doctor for my mental health and taken medication but exams anxieties isn't something that can easily be solved. Questions for which I am able to obtain stellar grade under a non-time pressure situation I commit numerous blunders under a time pressure situation.
    Providing proof of extenuating circumstances would be possible.

However, I do want to bet my dime on these. It appears the best possible way to rectify these mistakes is to obtain a stellar grade for the UOL grad dip in mathematics.
    Then you have your answers and a good rationale for doing the course. Good luck!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.