AmeliaF
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I would love to be an author that's the dream. However it's not very realistic to just say I'm going to a writer because there's no guarantee of getting any money. My plan was to do a degree in literature or philosophy and do a PHD become a lecturer yada yada yada
But I'm wondering whether this is actually going to get me anywhere towards writing a book. Lecturing is a career I'd enjoy but would you say getting a tv writing degree and going down that route would be better. I'm 16 and at sixth form so I've got some time to mull things over.
Any writers out there who can give me some advice?
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Feel free to ignore this advice. Proceed at own risk!

As long as you have the motivation to create said book, you will be fine with whatever you choose. Choose something that you will like the most and roll with it. Anything else that happens due to what you are doing is a bonus really. Maybe becoming a lecturer might help you get your book out there if you create a reputation.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm finishing up a PhD in philosophy and my thesis is basically a book. Aside from that (and teaching you how to write well), I'm not sure if following this route would necessarily help you in becoming an author. I suppose it depends what you want to write about.
AmeliaF
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I like fantasy because you pretty much get free reign to do what you want but often when writing about a dystopian society philosophy and history definitely comes into things.
As for teaching how to write that's very true but I don't know if it'd teach me to write in the right way. Essay writing tends to differ a lot from fiction.
I definitely have at least a little natural talent for writing which is why I'd consider it as a career choice. I also can be fairly disciplined in writing. This month I've took a challenge to write 50,000 words in a month and I'm on 38,000 on day 20 which is ahead of schedule.
So I'm thinking maybe it'd be worth giving just a career in writing with no other distractions a go. The problem is tv writing is probably my best option but I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about writing a script. That's why I'm thinking about doing some kind of degree first
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, writing philosophically in terms of academia is way different to writing philosophically for the purpose of fiction!
username3508478
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I could be wrong, but I think George RR Martin went the way of journalism and then screenwriting, with fiction writing being a hobby in the meantime, before becoming a proper writer. I don't know if that's any help but I thought it was pretty cool to know.

There is no exact route into writing, as long as you stay driven towards your goal I'm sure you'll have no problem getting there some day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (70)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.69%

Watched Threads