How long does it take to study A-level Maths alone? Watch

Y.O.L.O
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I am a self study student and decided to take A-level, wonder how much time do I need to finish it? The shortest possible.
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did you get at GCSE? Is it literally all you're doing or do you have a job or other stuff
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appleorpear)
What did you get at GCSE? Is it literally all you're doing or do you have a job or other stuff
I didn't take GCSE. Almost, I plan on taking a few more subject, I work 3 days a week, the other time are my free time.
R2D2IsASith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A-level maths alone? Hmmmm. Well for Edexcel, we had to do C1, C2, S1 for AS and we're doing C3, C4, S2/D1 for A2 right now. Each module would take around a month of two if you worked at it. It's hard to say if you're taking other subjects.
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by R2D2IsASith)
A-level maths alone? Hmmmm. Well for Edexcel, we had to do C1, C2, S1 for AS and we're doing C3, C4, S2/D1 for A2 right now. Each module would take around a month of two if you worked at it. It's hard to say if you're taking other subjects.
Same for Cambridge A-Level?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hmmm since you havent done GCSE its tough because C1 is basically advanced GCSE. I would say 3 weeks a module with 8 hours per week. It really depends on how quickly you can grasp new concepts, if you're good at it then you could probably learn C1 in a week, C2 in 2 weeks, C3 in 3 weeks and C4 in about a month, S1 can also be learnt in like 2-3 weeks if you have a basic understanding of stats are good at new 'concepts'.

so yeah, at best I would say you could C1-C4 in just under 3 months and S1+S2 in 2 months. so with exam practice in the picture, I'd say you could do it all in 7-8 months, just in time for the exams
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zxyn)
hmmm since you havent done GCSE its tough because C1 is basically advanced GCSE. I would say 3 weeks a module with 8 hours per week. It really depends on how quickly you can grasp new concepts, if you're good at it then you could probably learn C1 in a week, C2 in 2 weeks, C3 in 3 weeks and C4 in about a month, S1 can also be learnt in like 2-3 weeks if you have a basic understanding of stats are good at new 'concepts'.

so yeah, at best I would say you could C1-C4 in just under 3 months and S1+S2 in 2 months. so with exam practice in the picture, I'd say you could do it all in 7-8 months, just in time for the exams
Whao, thanks. That helped XD
But is this Edexcel? What is the difference with Cambridge?
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Y.O.L.O)
Hi,
I am a self study student and decided to take A-level, wonder how much time do I need to finish it? The shortest possible.
I did C1 to A grade standard in a month by myself. Just keep at it, it's very rote based
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whao, thanks. That helped XD
But is this Edexcel? What is the difference with Cambridge?
I do MEI, all the other exam boards are pretty much the same. You’ll find that the main differences are just some stuff in C3 is in their C4 and vice versa, and some stuff in C1 is in their C2 and vice versa again… but otherwise they usually contain 95% of the same stuff, the questions will be asked differently and that’s probably the biggest difference
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zxyn)
I do MEI, all the other exam boards are pretty much the same. You’ll find that the main differences are just some stuff in C3 is in their C4 and vice versa, and some stuff in C1 is in their C2 and vice versa again… but otherwise they usually contain 95% of the same stuff, the questions will be asked differently and that’s probably the biggest difference
Ohhh i see. Thanks, that just cleared my mind, i was so worried on going to the wrong track.
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
I did C1 to A grade standard in a month by myself. Just keep at it, it's very rote based
Ok, cool. Thankssss
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ohhh i see. Thanks, that just cleared my mind, i was so worried on going to the wrong track.
you're doing edexcel but seeing as your doing it on your own, if you need me to give you some practice papers (old and new spec), message me. But it's AQA though...
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by RickHendricks)
you're doing edexcel but seeing as your doing it on your own, if you need me to give you some practice papers (old and new spec), message me. But it's AQA though...
I am doing Cambridge actually, but its the same right? What's AQA?
Heyok
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am doing Cambridge actually, but its the same right? What's AQA?
Probably you are not from uk

So in the uk we have exam boards as the following :

You do CIE (which is cambridge international A levels)
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heyok)
Probably you are not from uk

So in the uk we have exam boards as the following :

You do CIE (which is cambridge international A levels)
Yeap, I am from Malaysia.
I don't understand why are there so many boards?
Heyok
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because in the past (in the 19th century), each school from Uk had their own leaving certificate. After 1960s each region had their own board.

Also, rich people decided that they want to make a business from exam boards.

It's a long history.

All exam board exams are equally hard.

There are only 2 boards internationally (cambridge and pearson). You already do Cambridge.
Heyok
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have any plans to study in Britain after a levels?
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heyok)
Do you have any plans to study in Britain after a levels?
Maybe XP, I really want to go overseas. But i am still really confuse and lost right now.....hahaha....
Heyok
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe XP, I really want to go overseas. But i am still really confuse and lost right now.....hahaha....
Dont waste your time to memorise our boards (you can't even take them so). Concentrate on your own work. Do past papers online, watch online videos for Cambridge A level. Find people who are doing International a level like you, etc, etc.

I am also self teaching (I study alone Maths, further maths and computer science)

Good luck
Y.O.L.O
Rep:
?
XD ok, thanks for the tip. I will start right away.
@Heyok You doing for A-level too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
6.25%
They might tell the bully (4)
12.5%
I don't think they'd understand (7)
21.88%
It might lead to more bullying (13)
40.63%
There's nothing they could do (6)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest