The Student Room Group

How to pass my theory test first time?

Hi All,

I am 17 soon next month in December and I have my theory booked on the 20th December. Is one month enough to prepare?

How can I revise for my theory and how often should I revise?

I have this DVD already (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2017/dp/1843266164/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511191565&sr=8-3&keywords=theory) and the AA theory and highway code books. Is this enough to pass first time? Also what websites can I use?
1 month is more than enough time. The DVD is great but I find the app was hella useful because you can practise on the go
Commit to the revision by doing 30 minutes - 1 hour every day or 2 for the whole month and you should be fine. Most of the theory test is basic common sense and road knowledge
Original post by dickwhittington
1 month is more than enough time. The DVD is great but I find the app was hella useful because you can practise on the go
Commit to the revision by doing 30 minutes - 1 hour every day or 2 for the whole month and you should be fine. Most of the theory test is basic common sense and road knowledge

What app?
Original post by ComputerWhizzKid
What app?

I believe I used the official DVSA app. Certainly worth £5
I used the DVD and the highway code. 1 month is plenty. I personally had 10 weeks but that's because I had to wait until the half term before I could take it at a good time. The mock tests are so useful because some questions are identical. I passed first time with something like 48/50 and 66/75 for the hazard perception.
I did mine in about 10 days. Got close to full marks.

You need to memorise the traffic signs book which is available as a free pdf online. Hazard perception practice cds are very useful. I got some 10 year old ones for free from an older sibling and just used those. The new hazard perception uses computer generated video rather than filmed video so for final practice you also need to try the computer generated practice hazard perception video that's available online.
Hi All,

I am 17 soon next month in December and I have my theory booked on the 20th December. Is one month enough to prepare?

I have this DVD already (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2017/dp/1843266164/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511191565&sr=8-3&keywords=theory) and the AA theory and highway code books. Is this enough to pass first time? Also what websites can I use?

Plenty of time.

I just spent a month going through the theory test app questions, and then practised haz-perp the evening before.
I passed first time with full marks (not sure how long I learned it for) and only ever needed the DVDs. Some of the questions and even images seen on those DVDs were in my theory test so I answered them all correctly just from memory, but also common sense is heavily involved. Reading the highway books will only detract you from the theory questions and you can always read the highway code at any time after you pass your theory, but there's a lot to cover in it.

Hi All,

Quick Reply

Latest