DyingWhale21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Deciding between the two!
Need some advice on pros and cons, etc.
I've done music for a while and I've done 30% of the coursework already in Y9 (now).
Drama seems really interesting and I like to perform.
Tj.d2925
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DyingWhale21)
I've done music for a while and I've done 30% of the coursework already in Y9 (now).

Personally, as someone that is currently taking both Drama and Music GCSE (year 11), I would suggest maybe completing the music course, however, as you have probably found out from completing 30% of the course, it is very theory based so if you are more of a performer and a creative person Drama may be the better option. By completing 30% of music already, this may put it a the easier option but, again, it depends where your strengths lie etc. Personally I find drama to be quite stressful as you're always having to find time to rehearse among also completing your other GCSE's and coursework, but once you have created your pieces/performed them, I find they are more rewarding to your self-esteem etc than performance in Music which is almost always just to yourself in a studio (if your school has one). Both subjects are a lot more theory based then teachers make them out to be, I think, with drama including the need to write a portfolio etc and also complete the theory exam, and Music having loads about different styles and genres of music and making compositions etc. It's honestly up to you of course but make sure you just take into consideration some things that teachers may not be telling you before advising you to take the course. I suggest talking to people who are already taking the GCSE's and asking their opinions on them both,

Hope this helped!!!
(And good luck in making your decision!)
beginningofanera
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DyingWhale21)
I am in Y10 and I do drama and I am finding your expreiance depends a lot on who your classmates are, and it can be great if you are in a motivated group but awful if you're in a class full of people who choose it because it is a lesson you can doss about in.

It is great to have a lesson on my timetable that I can be more active, as my other options are spanish, geography and history. You have to be prepared to do written work as well as practical, and the split of the final grade is 60% practical and 40% written. My friends who do both find that there is more written work in drama, and it is more groupwork dependant than music.

With music, I would say it doesn't matter so much who you are in a class with, as you can generally get on with your own work and let those who wish to mess around do so, but with drama, if people want to mess around then that will drag the whole group down. Even though you are marked individually, if a few people are not great that will drag the whole group impression mark down.

Music is more closely related to maths and drama is more close to english I would say, but I am better at maths and chose drama and I am still fine!

Music is commonly seen as more academic than drama, and may look better on uni applications

Different schools have specialities so you may want to choose to your school's strength, as some get a string of A*s at one, but Cs at the other so it is worth checking this out as well

If you want to know any more about Y10 drama, feel free to pm me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads