The Student Room Group

Anyone here not afraid of the idea of death?

I know everyone is worried by death to some degree. But there are a lot of people who seem quite relaxed about it, and have the 'I'm going to take risks and if death happens to me early, that's the way it goes' attitude. I envy this as someone who has anxiety surrounding health, plane rides and anything where there is a moderate risk of death involved. I don't believe in an afterlife which makes it worse. Insights are appreciated 😊
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, everybody is going to die and the world seems so random at times and people, in general, are so insignificant despite what we think, lol, so dying is okay to me because I realize all of that, lol. :smile:
Original post by mcpon14
Well, everybody is going to die and the world seems so random at times and people, in general, are so insignificant despite what we think, lol, so dying is okay to me because I realize all of that, lol. :smile:
I try to remember this. I think we're the only species that contemplates its own existence which is annoying, I'd rather be a duck 😂
Reply 3
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
I try to remember this. I think we're the only species that contemplates its own existence which is annoying, I'd rather be a duck 😂

You could get a lobotomy, lol, and live out the rest of your life devoid of your rational mind, lol. :smile:
Original post by mcpon14
You could get a lobotomy, lol, and live out the rest of your life devoid of your rational mind, lol. :smile:
Would be quite nice, however I imagine there are plenty of downsides of doing that!
I have anxiety about a lot of things but not death! It happens to everyone and if it comes it comes. I don't believe in an after life so I won't be around to care that I'm dead lmao. So yeah it just doesn't bother me.
My view of it is fear in the same way I fear potentially running out of cornflakes and having to inconvenience myself to buy some more. Like it'd be bad but getting serious anxiety over it just isn't helpful cause at the end of the day somebody could just break into my house and murder me someday and any anxiety I may have had would still not have prepared me for it. Not worth the worry.
There is no point worrying over something that you have no control over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
But it is only a transition into the next phase of you. Before that, you were star stuff, the debris from when a star or stars blew up, lol. :smile:
Reply 9
Well sure, we're all going to die so why worry about the inevitable?
I don’t fear death. Why should I?
Original post by mcpon14
But it is only a transition into the next phase of you. Before that, you were star stuff, the debris from when a star or stars blew up, lol. :smile:

That's quite a beautiful way of looking at it
No lol we’re all going to die
Reply 13
I don't fear it in the abstract but that's not to say that I fearlessly pursue actions that could feasibly end my life. In the immediacy it is a survival mechanism, so I'm not big on doing backflips along cliff edges. But in general terms, I'm comfortable with the idea that I will die and that it might be painful.
Death inspires me. It's such an easy way out but there's courage in living, so that's what I'll do.
I know everyone is worried by death to some degree. But there are a lot of people who seem quite relaxed about it, and have the 'I'm going to take risks and if death happens to me early, that's the way it goes' attitude. I envy this as someone who has anxiety surrounding health, plane rides and anything where there is a moderate risk of death involved. I don't believe in an afterlife which makes it worse. Insights are appreciated 😊

With me its more how Im going to die which I fear, than death itself.

I still feel the same even after having a stroke last month (maybe even 2 mini ones) which put me in hospital for nearly two weeks.Still have to have tests etc though!
(edited 6 years ago)
I fear dying before I'm ready or before I'm okay with it imminently coming, lol. :smile:
Reply 17

I'm not afraid of death. Even made an AMA about it but didn't get a serious debate.

I have interiorised the Stoic view on death, so now it doesn't concern me in the slightest. As a result, I feel freer, wiser and more serene.

Here are some posts I made on the issue:

Spoiler

Spoiler

i just dont want to die in pain thats all lol

and i dont want to die anytime soon because tf? i havent lived yet
Reply 19
Some people really do live in ignorance.

Original post by SirMilkSheikh
They is no point worrying over something that you have no control over.

This.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending