The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering or optometry

So i've narrowed it down to two courses either chemical engineering or optometry, im not sure which one to pick.
Predicted : 3A's Maths Biology Chem
Unis looking for: Anywhere in London as I dont want to live out
Work Exp: Accounting firm and Specsavers
Maybe if I can apply to 4 Chemical Engineering Unis and One Optometry one?? But then I would only have one personal statement?? Helpppp so confued right now!!!
Original post by Anon12345672000
So i've narrowed it down to two courses either chemical engineering or optometry, im not sure which one to pick.
Maybe if I can apply to 4 Chemical Engineering Unis and One Optometry one?? But then I would only have one personal statement?? Helpppp so confued right now!!!
Hiya:hi: I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so you should get the replies you're after.:h:

I'll run away now because I shudder at the thought of either course.:hide:

My one piece of advice would be to choose your uni course based on your career plan.:wink:

That would suggest to the admissions staff that you are indecisive and not fully committed. You have to decide which course in a few months if you want to start in 2018; it would be far better to do so before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be better to decide whether you want a career in engineering or optometry so that you can produce a fully focused personal statement to maximise your chances of obtaining a university place.
optom and chemeng come up all the time during clearing. Dont sweat it.
Yeh I understand, I should have a very specifric personal statemetn but its to hard trying to figure out what I want to do
Original post by ageshallnot
That would suggest to the admissions staff that you are indecisive and not fully committed. You have to decide which course in a few months if you want to start in 2018; it would be far better to do so before you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobwibbles
optom and chemeng come up all the time during clearing. Dont sweat it.
D

Dont really want to rely on clearinf tho
Yeh I understand, I should have a very specifric personal statemetn but its to hard trying to figure out what I want to do

In that case wait until you ARE sure. It is utterly stupid to study something for three years and run up a debt of c.£50k and then discover it was the wrong subject.
In that case wait until you ARE sure. It is utterly stupid to study something for three years and run up a debt of c.£50k and then discover it was the wrong subject.

Yeh I know that makes sense but like I dont want to take a gap year and I want to just decide on something now
Yeh I know that makes sense but like I dont want to take a gap year and I want to just decide on something now

So...

You don't know which course you want to do...

You don't want to go through clearing..

You don't want to take a gap year...

You do want to decide on 'something now'?
So...

You don't know which course you want to do...

You don't want to go through clearing..

You don't want to take a gap year...

You do want to decide on 'something now'?

I was keen on doing dentistry to begin with hencewhy I done theUKCAT but after receiving the result I wasnt too happy with it so I changed my mind. I was looking at accountancy, optometry and chemical engineering after but dont know what to decide on.
I was keen on doing dentistry to begin with hencewhy I done theUKCAT but after receiving the result I wasnt too happy with it so I changed my mind. I was looking at accountancy, optometry and chemical engineering after but dont know what to decide on.

That is even more evidence that you should wait and sort out what you want to do.
That is even more evidence that you should wait and sort out what you want to do.

Im just not keen on taking a gap year thats all, I tried one idea and it didnt work out so ill just try another one
They're entirely unrelated courses, so you really need to decide what you want to do long term. You could do an optometry course after a ChemEng course and still be funded, as it's an allied health profession - although this will delay you entering the work force, and allied health professions in general tend to have lower remuneration than other sectors, which may be a problem if you want to e.g. start a family, get on the property ladder etc.

The reverse is less true - you could only do a ChemE course after optometry and be funded if you do it part time. While there are some very good part time courses available in this area, they're mostly in northern Scotland, which may affect your decision making in this regard. Not everyone wants to live/study in Dundee/Aberdeen (also unsurprisingly given the location, these are more skewed to oil and gas engineering which is a shrinking niche).

Also neither course is dentistry, and accounting is completely separate to all these areas. I would strongly recommend you take a gap year to spend some more time figuring out what you want to do. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to start off on the right course for you, than switch continually - take it from someone who did that :tongue: A gap year isn't going to make a difference in your long term earnings potential, or your attractiveness as an applicant, and can be very helpful in giving you additional "space" to figure out what you want to do - ideally, while earning some money and experiencing some element of independence, and maybe getting some relevant work experience (or qualifications - it would be a good idea to consider doing Further Maths and/or Physics if you decide to go down the ChemE route in a gap year).
Original post by artful_lounger
They're entirely unrelated courses, so you really need to decide what you want to do long term. You could do an optometry course after a ChemEng course and still be funded, as it's an allied health profession - although this will delay you entering the work force, and allied health professions in general tend to have lower remuneration than other sectors, which may be a problem if you want to e.g. start a family, get on the property ladder etc.

The reverse is less true - you could only do a ChemE course after optometry and be funded if you do it part time. While there are some very good part time courses available in this area, they're mostly in northern Scotland, which may affect your decision making in this regard. Not everyone wants to live/study in Dundee/Aberdeen (also unsurprisingly given the location, these are more skewed to oil and gas engineering which is a shrinking niche).

Also neither course is dentistry, and accounting is completely separate to all these areas. I would strongly recommend you take a gap year to spend some more time figuring out what you want to do. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to start off on the right course for you, than switch continually - take it from someone who did that :tongue: A gap year isn't going to make a difference in your long term earnings potential, or your attractiveness as an applicant, and can be very helpful in giving you additional "space" to figure out what you want to do - ideally, while earning some money and experiencing some element of independence, and maybe getting some relevant work experience (or qualifications - it would be a good idea to consider doing Further Maths and/or Physics if you decide to go down the ChemE route in a gap year).

I have been told this several times but im really really against it, regards to optometry I know it is very repetitve but ive wanted to do something in healthcare that involves patient interaction. In addition, if I do take a gap year and do medicine it is very competitive to get into and I may not get in this time. For career progression im not sure which one is the best? Chemical engineering was more or less a stab in the dark, I know what it involves in terms of course structure but havent done work exp

Quick Reply

Latest