The Student Room Group

History Degree without A Levels?

So i dropped out of A-levels early last year and then decided on doing a Media Level 3 BTEC course at City College instead because it was really the only A Level that I found really fun and engaging, apart from History (i dropped out for a lot of personal reasons). I kind of rushed into this course as the law just changed that I needed to be in full time education so I really needed to be in something. And now I'm nearing the end of the course, and I kind of realise that Media just isn't for me. I love the theory side, I hate the practice. So now we have to fill out our UCAS applications.

And I love History. I really want to study History at University next year and I really don't want to have to go back and do another year or another two years for just a History A-level. I already feel completely behind everyone my age, most of them went off to Uni this September.

So ending this course I will have a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Media which is supposed to be equivalent to 3 A-levels (though I know it's not generally viewed that way) and of course my GCSE's which are pretty average, mostly B's and C's, a few A's.
and I was wondering if there was any hope at all that I could feasibly study History at Uni y next year?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :]
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MoogOog
So i dropped out of A-levels early last year and then decided on doing a Media Level 3 BTEC course at City College instead because it was really the only A Level that I found really fun and engaging, apart from History (i dropped out for a lot of personal reasons). I kind of rushed into this course as the law just changed that I needed to be in full time education so I really needed to be in something. And now I'm nearing the end of the course, and I kind of realise that Media just isn't for me. I love the theory side, I hate the practice. So now we have to fill out our UCAS applications.

And I love History. I really want to study History at University next year and I really don't want to have to go back and do another year or another two years for just a History A-level. I already feel completely behind everyone my age, most of them went off to Uni this September.

So ending this course I will have a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Media which is supposed to be equivalent to 3 A-levels (though I know it's not generally viewed that way) and of course my GCSE's which are pretty average, mostly B's and C's, a few A's.
and I was wondering if there was any hope at all that I could feasibly study History at Uni y next year?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :]

What grades do you have for your BTEC?

Normally they require you have History or a similar subject.

They might let you into the History with a foundation year course.

You just need to do some research and check entry requirements.

Its going to be easier if your BTEC grades are good.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending