Tabs467
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If the usual offer for a place is A*AA and two students apply for it, one with predicted grades of AAA and one with A*A*A - if there personal statements were roughly the same would they both receive offers of A*AA or does having higher/lower predicted grades than the usual offer have an effect on your offer?
GovernmentEarner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The person predicted A*A*A typically gets the lower offer. This tactic is used by universities because:
1. The person will be more tempted to pick it as their firm, and the university will be sure if that person does decide this, that they will meet their offer (On average there is a 2 grade deviation from predicted vs achieved grades).
2. The person may be applying for mostly A*AA universities, so a uni will give them AAA so that the applicant instead of straight rejecting them puts the uni as their insurance.

Obviously this is just a typical case, it is not always like this. Basically uni's just want the strongest candidates they can obtain. The A*A*A candidate will probably get like A*AA+ regardless while the AAA candidate needs the high offer to ensure they work hard enough.
Tabs467
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by GovernmentEarner)
The person predicted A*A*A typically gets the lower offer. This tactic is used by universities because:
1. The person will be more tempted to pick it as their firm, and the university will be sure if that person does decide this, that they will meet their offer (On average there is a 2 grade deviation from predicted vs achieved grades).
2. The person may be applying for mostly A*AA universities, so a uni will give them AAA so that the applicant instead of straight rejecting them puts the uni as their insurance.

Obviously this is just a typical case, it is not always like this. Basically uni's just want the strongest candidates they can obtain. The A*A*A candidate will probably get like A*AA+ regardless while the AAA candidate needs the high offer to ensure they work hard enough.
Thanks dude
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads