The Student Room Group

Choosing 3 A levels or 4 A levels for Medicine?

I am currently in Year 11 and I am going to pick my a level options for next year. I really want to do medicine at uni but I am confused as to whether I should do 3 a levels or 4 a levels. If I was to do 4 a levels, I would choose Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths but if I had to do 3, I wouldn't do Maths. For my GCSEs, I am predicted 8/9 (equivalent of A*) for all the 4 subjects. Do universities prefer people with Maths a level or could I just do the three sciences?

A lot of people have told me that universities only look at top 3 a levels, even if I do 4. With the exams now being all at Year 13, I don't know whether I should take the risk of doing 4 and plus I would have much less free lessons. Is there really any advantage to doing 4 a levels for medicine?
I’d say don’t risk it doing 4, my school made me do 4AS Levels and it was too much even at that. Do three and aim for the best grades in them. It’s more impressive to do really well in three than okay in 4
For medicine, you should prioritize Maths over physics. If you can, I would say Biology, Chem, Maths and FM.
Reply 3
there are no advanatges or disadvantages so why would you put yourself through extra stress and workload? you legit will not have a social life or any free time if you take those four a levels , honestly just do 3
As far as I’m aware, universities don’t prefer you to have four A-levels over three, so you wouldn’t need to do four. About doing all three sciences, maths instead of physics might be better because it shows a wider range of knowledge (I think?) but if you do better in physics than maths then that might be the better option. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest