The Student Room Group

Are driving instructors' reputation affected by pupils' fail rate?

My driving instructor keeps on saying that her reputation of having high first-time-pass % will be affected because many of her pupils booked test in November. (Because rules are changing soon and we want to book one before the rules).

Thing is I am on of those pupils. Today I had my test and I failed with 4 minors and 1 major. (Which was on a roundabout, apparently I slowed the vehicle down).

So I have obviously booked another one again in nearest slot I could find which is after 2 months.

What I want to know is - is it true that if I take many attempts to pass my driving, will it affect the reputation of her driving school? She keeps saying that to me and it has affected my confidence. And now is too late to change instructors because I am already at end-stage of my learning and I don't want a hassle.

There are bound to be students who don't pass first time. Why is she being like this. I mean, its my own money I am paying. And its not like I am a bad driver. Its just today was my bad day. So if I take 3/4 attempts to pass, how will she react? :colonhash:
Original post by walkers38
My driving instructor keeps on saying that her reputation of having high first-time-pass % will be affected because many of her pupils booked test in November. (Because rules are changing soon and we want to book one before the rules).

Thing is I am on of those pupils. Today I had my test and I failed with 4 minors and 1 major. (Which was on a roundabout, apparently I slowed the vehicle down).

So I have obviously booked another one again in nearest slot I could find which is after 2 months.

What I want to know is - is it true that if I take many attempts to pass my driving, will it affect the reputation of her driving school? She keeps saying that to me and it has affected my confidence. And now is too late to change instructors because I am already at end-stage of my learning and I don't want a hassle.

There are bound to be students who don't pass first time. Why is she being like this. I mean, its my own money I am paying. And its not like I am a bad driver. Its just today was my bad day. So if I take 3/4 attempts to pass, how will she react? :colonhash:

Got this moved into the Learning to drive sub-forum for you :smile:

I don't think it'll affect her reputation. But when you say to your friends/family: "I passed first time with 'x' driving instructor" it makes them look good...
Reply 2
You can call up a new instructor and tell them you have your test booked in a week or two and just want to do mock test lessons. Don't stay with an instructor who guilt trips you or puts you down, because it will just make you feel more tense and anxious when you're driving in the car with them.
Your instructor is being an egoistical prat and not encouraging you. My instructor had an exceptional reputation for the area, almost 30 years in the business and passed a lot of people that we happened to mutually know including one of my best mate's eldest daughter. But he never mentions it, even though I can see him trying to hide a smile when I used to tell him "so you're probably one of the best in the area then, if I don't pass with you I ain't ever passing".

His reputation as a good instructor is simply known, he doesn't have to mention it, because even the examiners at the TC know.
Original post by walkers38

I have no idea why your instructor is saying this to you. It's not helpful.

The DVSA (to my knowledge) do not hold a database containing pass rates for ADIs, so it's a largely meaningless statement that can't be substantiated, anyway.
It's probably just pressure for her. Obviously if you fail first time then they cant do the "90% pass first time" ad without lying. To most people, driving instructors are most likely chosen because they want to pass quickly.

But she is being insensitive.
Instructor pass rates mean precisely ****, its just a bragging right they can put on the side of their car to advertise with
If she is pressuring you too much though, consider moving to another instructor
No, in fact failing the test doesn’t make you a bad driver, lots of drivers that can’t pass their test are better than the ones on the roads of Britain but they’re very very unlucky on their test

Quick Reply

Latest