The Student Room Group

Geology job prospects in U.K./Europe?

Hey everyone! I plan on studying geology at either Southampton, Bristol, Aberdeen, Exeter, or Leeds.

I was wondering how the job prospects were, and if anyone took these courses at the prospective schools and how they liked it?

Also if there's any other schools you can suggest I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm applying from Canada with around a 76 average but a 93 in earth science so I'm not too sure how I will be assessed. Additionally I'm a mature student so don't know if that will also change how my admission is assessed.

Thanks!
They normally will want to see some recent, relevant academic achievement, in terms of entry criteria - generally some kind of scientific and mathematical background is most useful. If you are some years removed from your prior qualifications, they might require you undertake a foundation year or similar (Southampton has two - one for Geophysics, and the other for all other SOES programmes including Geology, although I imagine the Geophysics one would also allow you to continue to the Geology course).

I didn't go onto SOES, but I have several friends who did go onto various courses in SOES, including in Geology. To my knowledge they've all done well enough - at least one is doing a PhD, and another is working in the Geology industry internationally (they formerly worked in mining engineering for a gemstone mining and cutting company, I think they do something in Marine Geology now). I know two people who did related courses at Exeter on the Cornwall campus (Renewable Energy and Geography) - both are in teaching now, and seem to like that a great deal. Both Penryn and SOES seem to be popular among students there; I've never been to the Penryn (Cornwall) Campus of Exe, but I have been at SOES and it's quite interesting (you're right on the docks there and they do boatwork on the Solent there - we did get to go out on the boat on the foundation year, although we didn't really do much else in the rest of SOES and the various labs there).

In terms of UK/EU positions, there is a fair amount available in the oil and gas industry - North Sea gas reservoirs based from Aberdeen, and similar based from Norway. There are likely to be other things though, particularly with France trying to position itself as the leader in climate change and renewable energy research for example.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending