The Student Room Group

Preferred name on CV?

I want to start applying for part time jobs at pubs or restaurants, but I am insure if I should put my preferred or legal name on my CV. From what I googled most people say that it is not necessary to write my legal name, but is there paperwork I will be given to fill out which will, or paperwork my employer will be filling in. In the latter case, when is a good time to mention my my legal name to avoid any problems?
I always put my legal name down on contracts and stuff but then introduce myself as my preferred name.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
I always put my legal name down on contracts and stuff but then introduce myself as my preferred name.

So I should just introduce myself how I prefer, and write my legal name on CV? Wouldn't that be awkward, or create confusion?
Original post by H583
So I should just introduce myself how I prefer, and write my legal name on CV? Wouldn't that be awkward, or create confusion?

Nope it isn't awkward but it creates confusion for a few days. It's not that big of a deal when people realise it's the same person.
Original post by H583
I want to start applying for part time jobs at pubs or restaurants, but I am insure if I should put my preferred or legal name on my CV. From what I googled most people say that it is not necessary to write my legal name, but is there paperwork I will be given to fill out which will, or paperwork my employer will be filling in. In the latter case, when is a good time to mention my my legal name to avoid any problems?

You put the name you want to be known by on your CV. There will be no confusion when it comes to legal paperwork later. What does cause confusion and unnecessary awkwardness is when you arrive for interview and are either called by a name that you think only your grandma uses or you 'correct' the interview panel who have effectively been told one name by you on the paperwork and then you turn up using another one.

Your legal name can be something that is completely put on the back burner. You don't even have to sign your contract with it if you are using a name and signature you demonstrably routinely use.
Original post by H583

Saying from personal experience, I have a Chinese name and because I don't tend to use it because apparently it's hard to pronounce; I mainly use my English name instead and then sort of double barrel it with my Chinese name. Had no problems using this method. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending