The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Can my uni withold my degree certificate if I don't pay a library fine?

I received a letter today with my MA transcript. Attached was a cover letter which states the following: 'please note that your certificate will not be issued if you have an outstanding debt with the College or with Senate House.' This doesn't distinguish between academic and non-academic debt - my library separately publishes a document that says library fines are not academic debt - but I think the letter I received today implies library fines are included as an outstanding debt because Senate House is a library.

To my understanding, this practice is now illegal per the Office of Fair Trading's 2014 policy. Royal Holloway should not be able to withold my degree certificate over a library fine. Is this correct?

Interestingly, the letter was on blank paper with no signature - just a typed name. Usually, communication from the uni is on headed paper making the assertion about withholding the certificate seem a bit dodgy.
Original post by N_EN
I received a letter today with my MA transcript. Attached was a cover letter which states the following: 'please note that your certificate will not be issued if you have an outstanding debt with the College or with Senate House.' This doesn't distinguish between academic and non-academic debt - my library separately publishes a document that says library fines are not academic debt - but I think the letter I received today implies library fines are included as an outstanding debt because Senate House is a library.

To my understanding, this practice is now illegal per the Office of Fair Trading's 2014 policy. Royal Holloway should not be able to withold my degree certificate over a library fine. Is this correct?

Interestingly, the letter was on blank paper with no signature - just a typed name. Usually, communication from the uni is on headed paper making the assertion about withholding the certificate seem a bit dodgy.

I would confirm that it was actually sent by the university first, and I think the OFT was encouraging a rule change, i m unsure as to whether it is currently illegal.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Its definitely from then as it came with the official transcript.

I have started paying the fine off a bit each month (lost a book so it got pretty high and I couldn't afford to do it before I got a job) but I'm a bit worried they may see the fine now and decide not to issue the certificate, even though it will be cleared in the early Spring (and certificates take until then to arrive anyway).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by N_EN
Its definitely from then as it came with the official transcript.

I have started paying the fine off a bit each month (lost a book so it got pretty high and I couldn't afford to do it before I got a job) but I'm a bit worried they may see the fine now and decide not to issue the certificate, even though it will be cleared in the early Spring (and certificates take until then to arrive anyway).

Hi N_EN,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with this. If you haven't already I'd recommend chatting to the Student Services Centre - they should either be able to advise you on the issue or point you in the direction of the best people to talk to. You can email them on [email protected] or call on 01784 276641. Alternatively if you're around campus you can pop into the Student Services Centre in the Davison Building.

I hope that helps!

:smile: Summer
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi N_EN,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem with this. If you haven't already I'd recommend chatting to the Student Services Centre - they should either be able to advise you on the issue or point you in the direction of the best people to talk to. You can email them on [email protected] or call on 01784 276641. Alternatively if you're around campus you can pop into the Student Services Centre in the Davison Building.

I hope that helps!

:smile: Summer

What's going on with the tree cutting on campus?
Original post by BatmanRH
What's going on with the tree cutting on campus?

Hi BatmanRH,

The tree maintenance is to ensure a safe environment for the students, to avoid any branches falling under strong winds and causing damage, in particular through the woodland area between Founders building and the Hub.

Hope this helps,
Philippa :smile:
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi BatmanRH,

The tree maintenance is to ensure a safe environment for the students, to avoid any branches falling under strong winds and causing damage, in particular through the woodland area between Founders building and the Hub.

Hope this helps,
Philippa :smile:

How much is expected to be cut down? Surely not all of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending