Physics gcse help Watch

caitlinmmca
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, as you can see by the title, I am desperate.

I'm in Year 11 and my dream is to go into Medicine. I have done a lot of work experience in science/healthcare related environments and I know this is what I want to do. I tend to breeze through chemistry and biology as I enjoy them and find them relatively easy but I CANNOT seem to understand physics. It's a whole new language to me - worse than maths. All my current and predicted grades are A*-A (9-7) but physics is lagging behind at a 6 (though I sometimes even dip lower into a C grade). The fact we have to remember 20 odd formulas does not help at all.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on how to revise for physics or if anyone else has been in a similar situation how did you get out of it? I revised for hours this weekend for a physics test and got a grade 5 which has not helped at all. It feels as though no matter how much I do I can't learn anything.

Help!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by caitlinmmca)

I'm in Year 11 and my dream is to go into Medicine. I have done a lot of work experience in science/healthcare related environments and I know this is what I want to do. I tend to breeze through chemistry and biology as I enjoy them and find them relatively easy but I CANNOT seem to understand physics. It's a whole new language to me - worse than maths. All my current and predicted grades are A*-A (9-7) but physics is lagging behind at a 6 (though I sometimes even dip lower into a C grade). The fact we have to remember 20 odd formulas does not help at all.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice on how to revise for physics or if anyone else has been in a similar situation how did you get out of it? I revised for hours this weekend for a physics test and got a grade 5 which has not helped at all. It feels as though no matter how much I do I can't learn anything.

Help!
Hello.

It could be that you are trying to memorise everything rather than understand the concepts so you can decompose what is being asked and then deconstruct the problem into smaller steps?

Try posting questions in the Study Help physics sub-forum, together with your working. people will be pleased to help you.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=131
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I was in the same pickle as you and still am during my a-levels. Physics is a hard subject if you don't have the knack for it. However, to ensure you do your best, I would recommend you to start learning how the equations work and why they are there because once you can derive an equations, it becomes second nature to solve problems with them.
Also, memorising all equations at once is not possible unless you are clever as hell so what I would do is pick 5 equations and solve questions related to those 5. however, you cannot use any help and should solve them by trying to think of the equations. This should get your brain working and you will slowly start to remember equations.
libbyfirmstone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I created a memorise quiz to help people memorise the formulas for both combined science and GCSE physics. Here it is: https://www.memrise.com/course/18332...-and-comb-sci/.
Once you are getting the majority of the equations correct, you need to attempt to apply them to exam style questions to further extend your skill. Its very good knowing formulas but not knowing how to use them lol

Once you know your formulas, your half-way there. You just need to create some flashcards with key information from each topic and your away!! Good luck
VGM
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I'm also in year 11, and I also want to go into medicine. If your issue is formula then why not go through your textbook or the spec if you don't have one and list all the formulas. Then find out which ones you will be given in the test and remove them from your list, it should narrow your list down. May I also remind you to revise required practicals? There are usually 1 or 2 in each test (at least the practice ones and mocks I've had) and they're always worth about 6 marks which is a lot. The tests always have a set of questions that require you to list certain formulas, they sometimes give you all the values and get you to use the formula to figure out another value. If you are able to do those and the required practicals then the exam should be a lot easier for you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Binksy10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Help!
Hi Caitlin. I have started a gyg thread for GCSE students to ask question and exchange advice it'd be great if you could check it out and post some questions on their for everyone
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3787546
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Help!
If you have any specific queries about gcse physics, you can pm me. I’m currently studying a level physics, and would love to be able to help at gcse. If you have any specific physics questions you can’t do you can ask me. Good luck with your GCSEs xx
CtrlAltDeleep
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Help!
Most responses talk of memorising the equations, but it seems like you've already tried 'brute force revision'. I would suggest learning the basic equations first and then using them to prove the more complex equations. This means the equations are more meaningful than a string of variables. For example here is a Kinematics example which, once you run through and understand provides a good framework for the maths in the topic:

Area of trapezium = (a+b)*h/2

Displacement[s]= (Initial velocity[u] + Final velocity[v])*time[t]/2

Therefore, Displacement is area under velocity-time graph.

Now, lets look at constant acceleration:

A= (v-u)/t {v-u is change in velocity}

So… t= (v-u)/a

Therefore if : s = (u+v)*t/2

Then: s= (u+v)(v-u)/2a

{sub in t= (v-u)/a}

So: 2sa= (u+v)(v-u)

{The traditional suvat equation v2 = u2 + 2as can be derived from this by expanding brackets and making v2 the subject}

By expanding brackets and simplifying: 2sa = v2 - u2

Substitute in a = F/m equation: 2sF/m= v2 - u2

{F= ma; rearrange to a = F/m}

Rearrange terms: Fs = ((mv2)/2)- ((mu2)/2)

Work done = force x distance moved in direction of force. So Fs is the work done.

If you look carefully at the other side of the equation you may see similarities with the kinetic energy formula : ek = mv2 /2. Because v describes end velocity and u, the initial:

Work done (Energy) = Change in Kinetic Energy

Although, you don't need to know how to prove this, by learning it you link many different equations which helps you understand how they interlink.

If you didn't get anything feel free to ask. Hope it helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (148)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.69%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed