Don't know what to choose for A-level

Watch
poeticboxer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In year 11 currently, doing my GCSE's this year, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which subjects are enjoyable or interesting; the last thing I want is to sit through 2 years of boredom....
My current grades are fairly high but I'm not here to flaunt them like they mean something, I just want to hear your opinions. I want to study Maths and English Lit which gives me a very wide range of other subject(s) to choose from.
Any ideas/suggestions would be great. Thanks!
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your question is very subjective! Im doing biology, chemistry and psychology and enjoy them greatly but my friends would hate to do it and I would hate their subjects. What one person enjoys you might not.

What are your favourite subjects at gcse? Ambitions for a job or a uni course?
Radioactivedecay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No one can answer that question for you, because what I might find interesting might be very dull for you as it is all very subjective. Ask yourself what subjects did you enjoy at gcse, which ones were you best at and which ones might you consider pursuing a career related to. Also, do some research, look at a subject's syllabus, ask a level teachers etc..
JoshNilsson
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Highly recommend maths I loved every minute of it, definitely not computer science second year was horrid.
Mathematics Man
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poeticboxer)
In year 11 currently, doing my GCSE's this year, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which subjects are enjoyable or interesting; the last thing I want is to sit through 2 years of boredom....
My current grades are fairly high but I'm not here to flaunt them like they mean something, I just want to hear your opinions. I want to study Maths and English Lit which gives me a very wide range of other subject(s) to choose from.
You'll probably want to throw in one or even two sciences. As I know nothing more about your abilities or interest that's all I can really say.
username2811946
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends. I would choose a science to keep your options open. It means you will have 2 STEM subjects which means you keep your options open.
poeticboxer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
Your question is very subjective! Im doing biology, chemistry and psychology and enjoy them greatly but my friends would hate to do it and I would hate their subjects. What one person enjoys you might not.

What are your favourite subjects at gcse? Ambitions for a job or a uni course?
Thanks for the response, Maths and English are my favourites but the struggle is I enjoy all my GCSE options (triple science, history, product design) impartially. Also my plans for the future are fairly short-sighted at the moment. I'd like to know what Psychology is like at A-Level as it looked interesting on the open day but I haven't heard what many people studying it think.
Matticus C
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One bit of advice,

If you have no reason to do a-level chemistry (e.g. you don't want to do medicine, vet or dentistry)

DON'T DO IT.

Save yourself on a lot of stress and mental torture!

GOOD LUCK
Radioactivedecay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Matticus C)
One bit of advice,

If you have no reason to do a-level chemistry (e.g. you don't want to do medicine, vet or dentistry)

DON'T DO IT.

Save yourself on a lot of stress and mental torture!

GOOD LUCK
Lol so true I dropped that **** faster than a hot potatoe
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the response, Maths and English are my favourites but the struggle is I enjoy all my GCSE options (triple science, history, product design) impartially. Also my plans for the future are fairly short-sighted at the moment. I'd like to know what Psychology is like at A-Level as it looked interesting on the open day but I haven't heard what many people studying it think.
I personally love psychology A Level! It is a hell of a lot of work as there's a crap ton of memorising to do but the content is very interesting and I really enjoy the application questions. There are some pretty boring parts to it (e.g. research methods) and I know a lot of people in my school struggle with it but I personally adore it. Just be prepared for a lot of essay writing.

It'll probably keep your options more open if you take a science alongside your other subjects (SOME unis classify psych as a science, a science based/related subject or not at all) as you'll cover a lot of bases but it's kind of hard to give too specific advice when you're unsure what you want to do.

Hope I've helped!
deltaforce456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would choose a science so it doesnt limit you from any field. If you decide to go down the science route or the law/english route you have good alevels. I would go for maths,eng lit, probably chemistry and then something like economics. Solid alevels.
JackFin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Physics is a great subject at A-level, challenging but rewarding and interesting. Maths is also good and these combined with something like English or a humanity open many doors if you aren’t 100% sure what you want to do. (I only take maths, physics and geography so can’t speak for other sciences I just find physics to be fun)
username3247880
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JoshNilsson)
Highly recommend maths I loved every minute of it, definitely not computer science second year was horrid.
Hey, Im thinking of doing A level Comp Sci. What is soo bad about the second year?

What grade did you get at GCSE, what are you expecting at A level?
JoshNilsson
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by abcDEFG667)
Hey, Im thinking of doing A level Comp Sci. What is soo bad about the second year?

What grade did you get at GCSE, what are you expecting at A level?
I left college this year I got an A in GCSE Maths and an A in A-Level, originally predicted a D lol. Second year computer science wasn’t much fun because of the project. A lot of documentation not a lot of coding, plus my teacher wasn’t all that great
Beccajane2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did Maths AS and English Lit As and ALevel. English lit is great!!!! Maths I found alot more difficult but a worthwhile grade to have and good if u enjoy it! I take psychology and religious studies with them. And all are as good as I think ALEVELS will be. They r hard work so I'm not like constantly like this is enjoyable 🙂
CharisHeaven
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are there any subjects you really enjoy? As those two are quite academic would an option like drama or DT be good to lighten things up. Sciences are also a good option if you're taking maths, if you enjoy maths physics can be really intresting. History is also good, it has transferable skills that's are useful at higher levels and is interesting.
It completely depends on what you enjoy though 😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (394)
56.61%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed