The Student Room Group

Residency requirement

I'm an EU national, but have been living in the USA for the past year (temporarily, with the main purpose of studying). I hold an offer for Master's programme in England for 2018/19. I wanted to ask whether it's possible to consult my eligibility before the applications open up in the summer?

Thank you

Marta
Original post by puczi1234
I'm an EU national, but have been living in the USA for the past year (temporarily, with the main purpose of studying). I hold an offer for Master's programme in England for 2018/19. I wanted to ask whether it's possible to consult my eligibility before the applications open up in the summer?

Thank you

Marta

Temporary absence doesn't change your ordinary residence. If you were resident in the EU before the temporary move to USA then that will still count as your residence.

Thank you

Marta

Hi puczi1234,

Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. You will be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.
What could be classed as a temporary break?

β€’

Gap Year

β€’

Holiday

β€’

Voluntary Work overseas

β€’

Working for HM Armed Forces

β€’

Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?

β€’

People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland

β€’

People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature

β€’

People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK Acceptable Evidence

β€’

A letter from HEI confirming gap year

β€’

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

β€’

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

β€’

A letter from HM armed services if applicable

β€’

Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 3
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi puczi1234,

Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. You will be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.
What could be classed as a temporary break?

β€’

Gap Year

β€’

Holiday

β€’

Voluntary Work overseas

β€’

Working for HM Armed Forces

β€’

Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?

β€’

People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland

β€’

People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature

β€’

People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK Acceptable Evidence

β€’

A letter from HEI confirming gap year

β€’

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

β€’

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

β€’

A letter from HM armed services if applicable

β€’

Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine

Dear Catherine

Thank you very much. Just to clarify - I'm currently studying in the USA and I'm there on a student visa, (which expires with the programme end date). I'm planning to return to England to start a Masters programme in October 2018 for which I hold a deferred offer of admission.
Before the move to US I had been resident in the EU and I'm an EU national.
Does that meet the criteria to get the postgraduate student loan? Is my US student visa a sufficient evidence of temporary absence? And are your answers on this website binding in any way?

Is is possible to have someone look over my documents and confirm that I'm eligible before the applications open up in the summer?

Thank you

M
Dear Catherine

Thank you very much. Just to clarify - I'm currently studying in the USA and I'm there on a student visa, (which expires with the programme end date). I'm planning to return to England to start a Masters programme in October 2018 for which I hold a deferred offer of admission.
Before the move to US I had been resident in the EU and I'm an EU national.
Does that meet the criteria to get the postgraduate student loan? Is my US student visa a sufficient evidence of temporary absence? And are your answers on this website binding in any way?

Is is possible to have someone look over my documents and confirm that I'm eligible before the applications open up in the summer?

Thank you

M

Hi puczi1234,

When applying for Postgraduate Loan we will require you to send in evidence of your study visa to show your temporary break in residency, We have no information on changes or funding for 18/19 yet for Postgraduate Loans when this information is available it will be on the website.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest