The Student Room Group

6 mistakes all Hogwarts freshers make.

Being late to class because of the moving stairs

One thing you need to know about Hogwarts before you start your magical journey, is that โ€œthe castle is a stronghold of ancient magicโ€ (Albus Dumbledore) and the stairs are no exception to this. Most Hogwarts freshers fall victim to the magical stairs, disrupting their original path to class and making them late. To avoid this, test run your route so you don't end up in the Prefect's Bathroom when you should be in 4F for History of Magic.

Annoying Filch

An ill-tempted squib, Filch is Hogwarts' caretaker and it's best not to get on the wrong side of him. While he is by no means evil, if you tick him off he, along with his cat Mrs Norris, will try to make your life as difficult as they can. His knowledge of the castle is unparalleled, so if you want to sneak out at night, make sure youโ€™ve perfected your Polyjuice Potion so you go undetected.

Over eating at the start of term feast

From pumpkin pie to roast beef, the feast provides an unlimited amount of food for students for their first night at Hogwarts. While itโ€™s a lovely way to welcome old and new students, some wizards have been known to overindulge, vomiting and being left howling more than Moaning Myrtle. Pace yourself and you wonโ€™t be the laughing stock of your houseโ€™s common room.

Underestimating the Whomping Willow

Even if you have drunk a bucketful of Felix Felicis, itโ€™s not going to be easy getting past the Whomping willow. Planted in 1971 to hide a secret passage to the shrieking shack, the Willow is a violent plant and will attack anyone or thing that comes too close. So unless you want a visit from Madam Pomfrey, itโ€™s probably best that you admire the tree from afar.

Thinking you can take on a Bludger

Made of iron and approx. 10 inches in diameter, Bludgers are lethal and are used to try and knock players off their broom during a Quidditch match. Too often Hogwarts Freshers get a little too cocky and try and take the balls on. The last thing you want during a match is to be hit in the stomach with a rouge Bludger and Madam Hooch have to carry you off to The Hospital Wing, so stick to chasing that snitch.

Using You Know Whoโ€™s real name in a class.

Whether you are muggle born or you have a long history of wizards in your family, try to avoid using You Know Whoโ€™s full name in class. Voldemort is without a doubt a divisive wizard and while some of your fellow wizards may be comfortable with you using his name, others may feel disrespected. Voldemort and his followers may have murdered family members of your classmates, so be respectful and refer to him as "You Know Who".

What are you top tips for freshers starting at Hogwarts? Are there any blunders you did? Any advice you'd like to share?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Danny Dorito
What are you top tips for freshers starting at Hogwarts? Are there any blunders you did? Any advice you'd like to share?

Watch out for the Firewhisky :cheers::yucky::toilet:
Ask Nearly Headless Nick how he's nearly headless and creep out all the first years :colone:
Going down the basement.
Love this
Reply 5
Original post by Danny Dorito

Using You Know Whoโ€™s real name in a class.

That's not a mistake... the fear of the name only increases the fear of the thing itself!
I'm sorry, but there is one bit of advice here I cannot condone. Polyjuice potion is extremely dangerous, and nigh impossible to make for a first-year student. It is not recommended at Hogwarts or anywhere else.
If you want to sneak around, I suggest either buying an invisibility cloak from the nearest joke store, or getting an older student to perform the Disillusionment charm on you. Just be aware that for the former, you should check it before every use - you never know when the charm will wear off.
Reply 7
This is by far the best forum ever. Ever. :flamingo:
Reply 8
So I was feeling really nervous about starting uni, then I came across the forum . . . Iโ€™m not so worried now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Original post by J3mski
So I was feeling really nervous about starting uni, then I came across the forum . . . Iโ€™m not so worried now ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

There's always something so comforting about a bit of Hogwart's magic ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐ŸŒŒ๐ŸŒ 

Quick Reply