The Student Room Group

Is it true that British people are different from Europeans?

I just want to know what others think about this question because I live in a flat in Germany with five other Europeans and it got me thinking.

What do you lot think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theobsessedjuan
I just want to know what others think about this question because I live in a flat in Germany with five other Europeans and it got me thinking.

What do you lot think?

Yes, but all Europeans have different nationalistic characteristics.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but all Europeans have different nationalistic characteristics.

True!(by the way this wasn't meant to be a serious post) I just think we are such a funny nation. Like saying stuff when we don't mean it while my European flatmates are so direct.
True!(by the way this wasn't meant to be a serious post) I just think we are such a funny nation. Like saying stuff when we don't mean it while my European flatmates are so direct.

You are generalising.
You are generalising.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I thought this could just be something that someome would like to light-heartedly discuss.
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I thought this could just be something that someome would like to light-heartedly discuss.

You arent offending. There are direct Britsih people plus ones who feel more European than British.
You arent offending. There are direct Britsih people plus ones who feel more European than British.

I would have just like to have discusseed the silly mannerisms that some of us have as British people is all
Reply 7
British people are (stereotypically) pretty silly :wink: I often do the 'British stutter thing' when I'm angry 😂 Giles the librarian watcher from Buffy is a prime example
They use the word 'mate' a lot
It's almost as if we have our own secret code like when you say you don't mind but you obvioulsy do. So living with Europeans and I say I don't mind - they take it as that!
Reply 10

What do you lot think?

Many of us have dark senses of humour, with others being offended at the slightest remark. We like laughing at America and talking about the deceased British Empire. Many like our Monarchy, many don't. We say say sorry even if we don't do anything wrong. We hold doors open for people a mile away. We have a massive dog culture, like if you hurt a dog in public, expect to be hurt. We also like joking about every European country and their culture, being slightly fearful of Russia and European Bureacrats.

You can't generalise, but some of these things are typical characteristics of British people.
Original post by Djerun
Many of us have dark senses of humour, with others being offended at the slightest remark. We like laughing at America and talking about the deceased British Empire. Many like our Monarchy, many don't. We say say sorry even if we don't do anything wrong. We hold doors open for people a mile away. We have a massive dog culture, like if you hurt a dog in public, expect to be hurt. We also like joking about every European country and their culture, being slightly fearful of Russia and European Bureacrats.

You can't generalise, but some of these things are typical characteristics of British people.

So true! I love it though! I always say thank you to the cashieer when handing over my money to pay - I don't know why but I do!
British people generally like being called British and not Europeans even though we are
Reply 13
So true! I love it though! I always say thank you to the cashieer when handing over my money to pay - I don't know why but I do!

We're just too polite!
Original post by Shazbang
British people generally like being called British and not Europeans even though we are

Ha! For now. And this usually only applies to English people as the Irish, Scottish and Welsh would probably not say British when asked their nationality
Reply 15
everyone is bound to be different

What do you lot think?

I think sense of humour is very different, here you have to be explicit whereas generally with Europeans, they can read between the lines
Do you think Europeans find us weird that we are obsessed about the Second World War as a country?
Reply 18
Original post by Djerun

Laughing at America, joking about other countries, being fearful of Russia and hating on European bureaucrats are common European traits.
Reply 19
Original post by usualsuspects
Laughing at America, joking about other countries, being fearful of Russia and hating on European bureaucrats are common European traits.

Due to our geological distance from the European mainland, I would say the hating on European bureaucrats is quite strong here. That was one of the main factors that influenced people to vote for Brexit. I guess these traits do cross over..

Quick Reply

Latest