The Student Room Group

I want to change Universities.

I'm currently studying at Aston Uni doing a Foundation Course but I haven't cemented myself here, also, I don't enjoy it that much and I'm interested in switching Universities after I finish my Foundation Year and gain my qualification.

My question is a) Should I do this b) What steps do I have to take to change unis c) if you did this yourself, can i ask you to provide some insight if you don't mind.

Many Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by TDLTDP4U
I'm currently studying at Aston Uni doing a Foundation Course but I haven't cemented myself here, also, I don't enjoy it that much and I'm interested in switching Universities after I finish my Foundation Year and gain my qualification.

My question is a) Should I do this b) What steps do I have to take to change unis c) if you did this yourself, can i ask you to provide some insight if you don't mind.

Many Thanks

A) Only you can really decide if you should do this, us, random strangers, cannot really say whether or not this is the right move for you. If you think you would be happier/better off elsewhere there go ahead and move but be confident that its the right decision for you.

B) You will have find the universities you wish to move to and contact them outside UCAS. Moving Uni's is actually quite common when people don't hit the grade at their university and move to avoid repeating the year.

C) Cant help you OP but good luck with it all. Really think it through is my advice
Reply 2
Original post by TDLTDP4U

Many Thanks

I changed from a London based university to a Midlands university following the completion of my first year. However, it was mainly my course and the change in campus (I was meant to study a similar course on a different campus but didn't get the grades, I accepted their alternative) that led to my change.

a) Only do it if you know why you want to change, and that the universities you're thinking about moving to can fix the things you want to change - or at least offer a better alternative to you.

b) Simply start the UCAS process again. Ask your personal tutor at your current uni to write your reference - they won't mind this. They're there to help you, even if that means changing universities.

Pro tip: Tell your current uni that you're changing after the end of the official academic year, otherwise you're liable to pay back ~£400 immediately. I now pay £10 a month because I told them two weeks before the official end, out of courtesy, and got penalised for doing so.

c) Feel free to PM me or reply here with anymore questions about the process. I changed unis, course and city and I'm much happier as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest