The Student Room Group

White British man dating a Iranian girl

My girlfriend of 3 years is from Iran a majority Muslim country and me a white British male. My girlfriend doesn't like Islam despite being from a Muslim family, her family don't mind too much her dating me but in Iran it's frowned upon for a Iranian to date a forgiener. The Christmas break is coming up, my girlfriend wants me to do over with her but I'm a bit worried how people there will react if they find out and should I hold her hand and kiss her in front of people? I've read things online that would happen if she is caught such as torture and getting arrested.

Our relationship is getting more serious, she is in love me and in fact she was the one that asked me out. Loves the UK and very welcome here but obviously she has friends and family back home and I'm thinking it's preventing her from seeing them and I should leave it. Her family is more important than me so I don't know how to feel or where go from here.

I just want people's opinions on this really and people's advice if you're in a similar relationships?
Reply 1
Hey, I'm a 25 year old an Iranian girl born in London and recently I went back to Iran for the first time in 15 years. Let me tell you one thing, I was so shocked at how liberal they are. I was expecting strict religious people but everyone was so relaxed they were more outgoing then people here. People have multiple boyfriends/girlfriends (I know!! I was like what the hell??) out there so it's normal. In fact everyone is going to love you, there were so many tourists out there and when they realise you're from Europe or even Americans they get so excited. They really love western culture. Don't associate the people of Iran with the government of Iran . Now in terms of how to act appropriately in the street and around her family, despite the fact that you will be loved and accepted by them (they are really hospitable and genuinely friendly and loving) do remember it is an Islamic republic whereby there are strict
Reply 2
Ok the rest of my stuff didn't post. Basically to continue there are strict laws and morality police so don't kiss or hold hands in public leave the affection for when you're at home and don't really like get too touchy feely infront of her uncles and that (it's just not classy) but other then that you will have a great time people will love you and I'm sure her family will too. The people of Iran are great, they are just bound by a government that was put in place 30 years ago through no fault of their own.
"but in Iran it's frowned upon for a Iranian to date a foreigner"

I don't think this is true. More conservative Muslims may frown upon the idea of an Iranian Muslim being in a relationship with a non-Muslim but I seriously doubt that they would be hostile towards you on the basis that you are White British; a lot of Iranians are Caucasian, after all. And it will be impossible for random people on the street to tell that you are a non-Muslim (I'm assuming that's true). So they won't detect anything unusual, provided you abide by their customs.
Reply 4
Yeah I'm an iranian girl and ppl here r totally ok with all the bf gf thing. It really hurts that some ppl actually believe our government's ********!. I mean we don't hate any country , we r not religious anymore . And yeah, we hate our government.so don't be worried or anything.just be ur self they're gonna like u. Our ppl r kind as hell! :smile:
Are you really believe western freedom or not. And if you practicing this freedom you shouldn't doubt about it. Regardless of nationality you are free to decide about your private relationship and no need advice from someone else.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
My girlfriend of 3 years is from Iran a majority Muslim country and me a white British male. My girlfriend doesn't like Islam despite being from a Muslim family, her family don't mind too much her dating me but in Iran it's frowned upon for a Iranian to date a forgiener. The Christmas break is coming up, my girlfriend wants me to do over with her but I'm a bit worried how people there will react if they find out and should I hold her hand and kiss her in front of people? I've read things online that would happen if she is caught such as torture and getting arrested.

Our relationship is getting more serious, she is in love me and in fact she was the one that asked me out. Loves the UK and very welcome here but obviously she has friends and family back home and I'm thinking it's preventing her from seeing them and I should leave it. Her family is more important than me so I don't know how to feel or where go from here.

I just want people's opinions on this really and people's advice if you're in a similar relationships?

hello hope all is well with you ? I get the feeling you are european but living in uk am I right ? :smile:I am an iranian woman and I respect my values very much I am from south so I speak Arabic mother tongue and second persian . let me give you a clean peice of advice I dont have friends among iranian woman because they betrayed me many times my best friend had an affair with my husband my best friend imagine and now we are divorced . I heard that she has gone with a black guy from usa I feel disgusted by persian women they can be decieveing when you approach them but later when they find a richer man they will forget about you they are tricky for a forgeiner I lived in iran but I will never let iranian woman invade my personal life and interests . becarful thanks you for appreciating our culture if you really know much about it . but I'd rather a European woman is more heartfelt and honest than persian woman . becarful don't let it get serious when you have doubts. luck to you
Reply 7
Original post by Xoishx
Hey, I'm a 25 year old an Iranian girl born in London and recently I went back to Iran for the first time in 15 years. Let me tell you one thing, I was so shocked at how liberal they are. I was expecting strict religious people but everyone was so relaxed they were more outgoing then people here. People have multiple boyfriends/girlfriends (I know!! I was like what the hell??) out there so it's normal. In fact everyone is going to love you, there were so many tourists out there and when they realise you're from Europe or even Americans they get so excited. They really love western culture. Don't associate the people of Iran with the government of Iran . Now in terms of how to act appropriately in the street and around her family, despite the fact that you will be loved and accepted by them (they are really hospitable and genuinely friendly and loving) do remember it is an Islamic republic whereby there are strict

Well I am iranian woman I don't like western cultures . I hate the fact that iranian sleep around with black and English men and then play themselves victims I praise saudi women for being woman of strength and honour because they don't make a clown our of themselves
Folks, the thread is 6 years old.