The Student Room Group

How many Cambridge professors...

...does it take to change a light bulb?

Actually, no - I just want to know how many Cambridge professors there are in total.

I'm sure one or two here would know where to look!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewinelake
...does it take to change a light bulb?

Actually, no - I just want to know how many Cambridge professors there are in total.

I'm sure one or two here would know where to look!

Hi! How’re you and your daughter?

All ATs here are busy sorting out applications and sending out interview invites and rejections.

Perhaps you can go over lists of academics on all departments’s website and add them all up. (It usually come under ‘About’ > ‘People’ > ‘Academic staff’ or something in that line on their website)

Come back and let us know the result of your research! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,
We're good - DD is burning candle at both ends. Lots of dancing, even more Architecture (hardly any time for partying!).
I'm too lazy to do that - one thing I have discovered is that there are apparently over 100 departments (which came as a surprise).
I could count the number of entries in Wikipedia, but I'm not convinced that's authoritative.

However, from "Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity" to "LEGO Professorship of Play in Education, Development and Learning" there are 125. I think there are more. For instance no Zoology professors in there - and I know they exist.
(edited 6 years ago)
Actually, she is having one spot of bother, which is her bike's playing up a bit. She's useless on technical things, so can't give me a good description of the problem, but it sounds like there's something rubbing on the tyre that makes it hard to cycle.
Are there any good places (eg. bike shops, cycle societies, friendly bike clinics) where she can get this diagnosed/fixed for a modest outlay?!
Actually, she is having one spot of bother, which is her bike's playing up a bit. She's useless on technical things, so can't give me a good description of the problem, but it sounds like there's something rubbing on the tyre that makes it hard to cycle.
Are there any good places (eg. bike shops, cycle societies, friendly bike clinics) where she can get this diagnosed/fixed for a modest outlay?!

There’ll be lots of independent ones but you could use Halfords or Evans cycles

Poor her (and her dad...).
There’re 3 or 4 bike shops in the town and they all seem to be quite good and helpful. Everyone seems to have their own favorite bike shop and it’d probably depend on which is the closest/ more convenient for her, so tell her to ask her college parents or some older students at her college for advice on bike shop.
Original post by Sammylou40
There’ll be lots of independent ones but you could use Halfords or Evans cycles

I don’t know where Evans is, but Halford is in a retail park out of town.
She may not want to go that far.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
I don’t know where Evans is, but Hanford is in a retail park out of town.
She may not want to go that far.

Google your area for cycle repairs. There’ll be an independent one somewhere I’m sure
Original post by Sammylou40
Google your area for cycle repairs. There’ll be an independent one somewhere I’m sure

I KNOW there are.
Read my post above.
....tell her to ask her college parents or some older students at her college for advice on bike shop.

I was rather hoping that she'd find some willing engineer (or college parent!) to actually take a look at it and tell me what's wrong! ;-)
Are there more cycle repair engineers than professors in Cambridge?
I was rather hoping that she'd find some willing engineer (or college parent!) to actually take a look at it and tell me what's wrong! ;-)

Send her to the Porter, then. They are usually quite helpful when you (I mean your daughter...) have a problem like that. :smile:
Not sure they can sort it out, but probably better than your daughter at finding out how serious the problem is! :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, I think I did suggest that. Funnily enough, the other person who I said she should take it to is a professor friend of mine!
Reply 13

There’re 3 or 4 bike shops in the town and they all seem to be quite good and helpful. Everyone seems to have their own favorite bike shop and it’d probably depend on which is the closest/ more convenient for her, so tell her to ask her college parents or some older students at her college for advice on bike shop.

LOL! Just seen this thread...
(Has she asked her engineering college parent....?
Although he usually asks his actual parent... :wink: )
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury

Ha! I doubt it... I guess she is a bit shy to do that, perhaps on the basis that she's so busy and suspects everyone else is, too.

I was really expecting you (as Mr Data) to be able to tell me about professors!

BTW, I should just explain to everyone else here that My DD is Doonesbury's DS's cDD...
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

I could count the number of entries in Wikipedia, but I'm not convinced that's authoritative.

However, from "Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity" to "LEGO Professorship of Play in Education, Development and Learning" there are 125. I think there are more. For instance no Zoology professors in there - and I know they exist.

Going back to your original topic......
I was actually wondering about the Wiki's list ......
They all look like some kind of honourary position or a special professorship that's sponsored by a certain company/individual, not regular professorship.
Yes, quite a few subjects/departments are missing from the list. A friend of mine got a professorship last year but his subject is not on it and the department has 15 professors......

Yes, I think I did suggest that. Funnily enough, the other person who I said she should take it to is a professor friend of mine!

I'd say the porters are her best bet. They have a lot of tools to deal with all kinds of daily problems students throw at them! If it fails, one of bike shops in the town. I think there used to be a guy with a stall in the market square who repairs bikes, but not sure if he's still there. Was there at least 2 years ago.......

I'd be very interested to hear what the problem turns out to be and how she sorts it out! . :wink:

Original post by Doonesbury

What? Is your son her college dad?
If you'd known earlier, you could've had a look on Sunday......:wink:
Ha! I doubt it... I guess she is a bit shy to do that, perhaps on the basis that she's so busy and suspects everyone else is, too.

I was really expecting you (as Mr Data) to be able to tell me about professors!

BTW, I should just explain to everyone else here that My DD is Doonesbury's DS's cDD...

Bike fixing - ask her if she knows where Queens College is, opposite, in the lane behind the Anchor there's a small bike shop which will take a look/fix while she's in a lecture/having a coffee etc.

Number of professors - https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2017-18/special/03/section2.shtml

You'll have to count 'em yourself though :wink:
Original post by threeportdrift
Bike fixing - ask her if she knows where Queens College is, opposite, in the lane behind the Anchor there's a small bike shop which will take a look/fix while she's in a lecture/having a coffee etc.

Number of professors - https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2017-18/special/03/section2.shtml

You'll have to count 'em yourself though :wink:

She definitely knows where Queens' College is - she seems to be spending a lot of time there building some floating bench as part of her first term project!

Thanks for all that - could be a flyer...
Wow! 1112 - more than I was expecting (assuming there's nobody with the letters 'prof' in their name!)
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow! 1112 - more than I was expecting (assuming there's nobody with the letters 'prof' in their name!)

Did you actually count?!

Quick Reply

Latest