The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Global Health Queen Mary 2018 Entry

Has anyone else applied for global health yet and have you received an offer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by julesmc
Has anyone else applied for global health yet and have you received an offer?

I've applied for it but currently waiting for college to approve my UCAS application to be sent off. If you don't mind me asking what subjects do you do and predicted grades?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by emyj1
I've applied for it but currently waiting for college to approve my UCAS application to be sent off. If you don't mind me asking what subjects do you do and predicted grades?

Hey I sent my application off early last month and they're still deciding- I'a predicted A* maths, A biol, A chem how about you?
Reply 3
Original post by julesmc
Hey I sent my application off early last month and they're still deciding- I'a predicted A* maths, A biol, A chem how about you?

Wow, those are really good grades well done :smile:. My subjects are Biology, Psychology and English Literature (I know weird isn't). A in psychology, B in both biology and eng plus A in epq. I qualify for contextual offers aswell. what are your other choices? Are you considering the same course in kcl aswell? (sorry for the questions, it just rare to see someone else applying for this course)
Reply 4
Original post by emyj1
Wow, those are really good grades well done :smile:. My subjects are Biology, Psychology and English Literature (I know weird isn't). A in psychology, B in both biology and eng plus A in epq. I qualify for contextual offers aswell. what are your other choices? Are you considering the same course in kcl aswell? (sorry for the questions, it just rare to see someone else applying for this course)

Thats really good! I wouldn't worry too much about those subjects, i think on the course they want a mix of people doing different subjects so that we can discuss different perspectives as long as you did well in maths GCSE. My other choices are all medicine. Usually medics' fifth choice is biomed but i found this course more interesting as i'm fascinated about work done by organisations such as the WHO and in queen mary they work strongly with the medics. Also, I know quite a lot of people who do the course can go onto postgrad medicine so I could still go onto do that if I wanted. I chose a fifth option because I'm not sure whether I'll get an A in chem which I'll need for medicine and I find the course really interesting. What did you put on your personal statement?
Reply 5
Original post by julesmc
Thats really good! I wouldn't worry too much about those subjects, i think on the course they want a mix of people doing different subjects so that we can discuss different perspectives as long as you did well in maths GCSE. My other choices are all medicine. Usually medics' fifth choice is biomed but i found this course more interesting as i'm fascinated about work done by organisations such as the WHO and in queen mary they work strongly with the medics. Also, I know quite a lot of people who do the course can go onto postgrad medicine so I could still go onto do that if I wanted. I chose a fifth option because I'm not sure whether I'll get an A in chem which I'll need for medicine and I find the course really interesting. What did you put on your personal statement?

Yeh, I went to the open day and spoke with the lecture and the students from the course and was reassured that my subject combo were okay. I got a b in maths gcse and a separate statistics gcse aswell , I don't know if that would be good enough?. Funny enough my other choices are biomed, which I had my heart set on until I found qmul doing bsc in GH. Yeah i agree its an interesting course, it really has a range of modules that look really good. My personal statement had my experience of two biomed taster session and trip to blood and transplant centre and my epq which is based on Ebola outbreak and the response of the international community and how MSF and WHO were inadequate. My extracurricular activities were psychology tutoring and a community program for 9 months to raise awareness and fundraise for charity. The thought of "competing" against medics for a space gives me anxiety, as you guys have work experience and exceptional grades lol
Reply 6
Original post by emyj1
Yeh, I went to the open day and spoke with the lecture and the students from the course and was reassured that my subject combo were okay. I got a b in maths gcse and a separate statistics gcse aswell , I don't know if that would be good enough?. Funny enough my other choices are biomed, which I had my heart set on until I found qmul doing bsc in GH. Yeah i agree its an interesting course, it really has a range of modules that look really good. My personal statement had my experience of two biomed taster session and trip to blood and transplant centre and my epq which is based on Ebola outbreak and the response of the international community and how MSF and WHO were inadequate. My extracurricular activities were psychology tutoring and a community program for 9 months to raise awareness and fundraise for charity. The thought of "competing" against medics for a space gives me anxiety, as you guys have work experience and exceptional grades lol

Oooh how was the open day? any important points? The maths should be ok it says that only a B is required and if you have a good PS it should make up for it (which sounds like it with the amount of relevant w/e and extra curriculars you've done).
Concerning your anxiety about medics- I myself am worried that I won't get an offer because I want to do medicine and they have seen that from the UCAS form, my personal statement was medicine based. Although I sent a separate one by email directly to the admissions team, I'm worried that because global health is my 'second choice' they'll think that I'm not passionate enough about the subject. So I wouldn't worry about that.
Reply 7
Original post by julesmc
Oooh how was the open day? any important points? The maths should be ok it says that only a B is required and if you have a good PS it should make up for it (which sounds like it with the amount of relevant w/e and extra curriculars you've done).
Concerning your anxiety about medics- I myself am worried that I won't get an offer because I want to do medicine and they have seen that from the UCAS form, my personal statement was medicine based. Although I sent a separate one by email directly to the admissions team, I'm worried that because global health is my 'second choice' they'll think that I'm not passionate enough about the subject. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Open day was really good, considering it was london, it didn't feel as crowded as I thought it would be and everyone is really friendly. One important point I got was that there is a placement year in yr3 or year abroad and our exams would be in winter before Christmas. I think you'll be fine as one of the students I talked to use her medicine ps , so should be okay. As well as medics often do a master in global health after, so the link between them is really good. I feel you on the "second choice" thing bc global health is my first choice, but since there isn't anywhere else to do it in the uk apart from kcl, i had to settle with 4 Biomed choices that I don't want to really do. How did you email them about sending a separate ps?
Reply 8
Original post by emyj1
Open day was really good, considering it was london, it didn't feel as crowded as I thought it would be and everyone is really friendly. One important point I got was that there is a placement year in yr3 or year abroad and our exams would be in winter before Christmas. I think you'll be fine as one of the students I talked to use her medicine ps , so should be okay. As well as medics often do a master in global health after, so the link between them is really good. I feel you on the "second choice" thing bc global health is my first choice, but since there isn't anywhere else to do it in the uk apart from kcl, i had to settle with 4 Biomed choices that I don't want to really do. How did you email them about sending a separate ps?

Yeah I just emailed the admissions using the email on the global health page on the website. I just explained that on UCAS I have a medicine-based PS and asked whether they would like a separate one sent. They said that was fine. I didn't apply for a year abroad but do you think I could if I wanted to later on?
Reply 9
Oh okay thank you, I emailed them in like September but I never got a reply maybe I'll try again. It's probably likely to pick up the year abroad when you start .I picked the one with a year abroad but I'm not sure I would really want to do it. I'm having a meeting about my references(there's been an error or something that has to be changed ) today so I can get my application approve and sent already! So much anxiety I pay and sent at the start of last week
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I just got an email inviting me for a phone/skype interview in december:h:. However, I have no idea how to prepare for it as I'm more used to medicine-style interviews.
Reply 11
Original post by julesmc
I just got an email inviting me for a phone/skype interview in december:h:. However, I have no idea how to prepare for it as I'm more used to medicine-style interviews.

Oh really, I would have expected an interview at the campus but I guess the medicine style interviews give you a good foundation for this one, so don't worry about it too much, you'll be fine. My application was approved on Monday , so I'm just waiting for a reply now. Did they give you a conditional offer?
Reply 12
Hi! I applied for Global Health at QM and I got a response back - I have an interview at their campus on Wednesday 13th Dec (next week)! :smile:
Reply 13
Hey, well done on your interview! how long did you wait for a response? And if you don't mind me asking are you another medicine applicant?
Reply 14
Thanks! :smile: And yeah - I am another Medicine applicant so I applied to Global Health as a 5th option, but I am really interested in the course.
I didn't get an offer straight away - I got an email for interview about a month after I sent off my application.
Reply 15
Original post by hali12
Thanks! :smile: And yeah - I am another Medicine applicant so I applied to Global Health as a 5th option, but I am really interested in the course.
I didn't get an offer straight away - I got an email for interview about a month after I sent off my application.

Oh right, yeh this course seems interesting. what subjects do you take? The standard bio, chem and maths?
I guess I'll get some type of reply in January depending when admissions team goes on holiday break.
Reply 16
Original post by emyj1
Oh right, yeh this course seems interesting. what subjects do you take? The standard bio, chem and maths?
I guess I'll get some type of reply in January depending when admissions team goes on holiday break.

Nah, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, English and History at A-Level.

And yeah - don't worry if they take a while to get back to you, there are a lot of applications that they're probably going through. Did you check out any of the Open Days?
Reply 17
Original post by hali12
Nah, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, English and History at A-Level.

And yeah - don't worry if they take a while to get back to you, there are a lot of applications that they're probably going through. Did you check out any of the Open Days?

Oo nice subjects do you take lit or Lang for eng? Yeh hopefully I get some type of reply soon and I went to their open day and spoke to the lecturer and current students it was really good
Reply 18
I take English Lit.
And that's good - I haven't had a chance to attend any of the Open Days yet, but after the interview there's a chance to do a self-guided tour of the campus so I'll probably check it out then.
Reply 19
Original post by hali12
I take English Lit.
And that's good - I haven't had a chance to attend any of the Open Days yet, but after the interview there's a chance to do a self-guided tour of the campus so I'll probably check it out then.

Any chance your doing ocr and rossetti, Ibsen, Carver and Miller? Also small island and reluctant fundamentalist?
Yeh do try to have a look around, Everything is so close together and clear so you won't get lost .is the interview at whitechapel as I think it's the main location for global health?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending