madina.chaudhary
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I am currently in year 10 and have been wondering about sixth form. it would be really helpful if you could give me tips on how to choose the right sixth form, a- levels and things that can help you getting into sixth form, especially if it's not your current school's sixth form.
Thanks
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by madina.chaudhary)
Hi, I am currently in year 10 and have been wondering about sixth form. it would be really helpful if you could give me tips on how to choose the right sixth form, a- levels and things that can help you getting into sixth form, especially if it's not your current school's sixth form.
Thanks
Choosing the right sixth form for me was based on two main things: they let me take what I wanted (which my highschool sixth form didn't) and the feel of the place/reputation (my sixth form college has a much better and adult environment than my high school one where you were still treated like a child).

A-Levels wise you need to think of a) what you enjoy at GCSE b) what you want to do at uni c) what you want to do as a job. The last one is not too important but once you have an idea of a course, look at uni entry requirements for an idea as to what to take.

Best way to get into other sixth forms? Get the grades they ask! That's all I had to do.

Good luck mate and anymore questions just ask.
xxKenziexx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by madina.chaudhary)
Thanks
I would say the biggest tip for choosing your a-levels is to look at the content you will be studying and make sure it is something you will enjoy learning about, maybe ask to look at the textbooks? I know this was my biggest mistake, I enjoyed history at GCSE and didn’t really look at the course content for a-level and ended up hating it. Also if you are planning on going to uni it might be worth looking at the courses you are interested in and see which a-levels you need for them. If you don’t know what you want to do at uni I would keep your options open and so take a wide range of facilitating subjects.

As for choosing the right sixth form, you need to think about your future plans (uni, apprenticeship etc) and see which one will help you achieve those plans. But most important of all you need to feel comfortable at that school as you will be spending the next two years there.

I can’t really comment on moving schools as I stayed at my schools sixth form but as was mentioned before try your best and get the grades.

Any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Kenzie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.64%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.08%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.79%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise