Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

Has anyone here had or is going to have an interview at Google for the STEP program?

What stuff are you doing or did you do to prepare for it? Open discussion about the program also..

UPDATE:

I have just done my 2 technical interviews if you would like to know about them.
username2115139
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
Hey,

Has anyone here had or is going to have an interview at Google for the STEP program?

What stuff are you doing or did you do to prepare for it? Open discussion about the program also..

UPDATE:

I have just done my 2 technical interviews if you would like to know about them.
I am very interested to hear about the interviews, I'm not sure whether this internship is for me so I'd like to know more.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daplenrek)
I am very interested to hear about the interviews, I'm not sure whether this internship is for me so I'd like to know more.
I'll reply to your message here as some others may find it useful.

So the process is as followed:

You fill out a short form with your details and your CV, nothing else is needed.

About a week or two later I received this survey that i had to fill out which asked about my experience and what languages/technologies and areas of Computer Science that I would be comfortable with working on. It's not a test, it's just for them to assess if there would be a project for you to work on.

After that, they ask to schedule two online technical interviews (over Google Hangout) with you, generally on the same day but can be different days if you must. These interviews start by going through your CV briefly, then ask you to solve some problems in a language of your choice on Google Docs. The questions that they ask test your knowledge of data structures and most importantly, time complexity (big O notation), so it is important that you understand how long your algorithms or data structures operations takes.

They ask you to reason with the solution given, and suggest whether or not there is a better solution, it's not a good idea generally to settle with the first idea that comes to you, unless you are certain there is no better way.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

UPDATE:

when did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
when did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
17th October.

Also, another update, the recruiter emailed me on Friday congratulating me on my feedback from the technical interviews. So i assume i am through to the next stage; having a google hangout with her on Wednesday.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
17th October.

Also, another update, the recruiter emailed me on Friday congratulating me on my feedback from the technical interviews. So i assume i am through to the next stage; having a google hangout with her on Wednesday.
October????

The app wasn't even up for me until November, wtf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
October????

The app wasn't even up for me until November, wtf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely October for me.
johnw749
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which offices did you apply to? I swear the applications opened at the beginning of November...
index123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you get an offer? Also, did you have any graphs questions?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnw749)
Which offices did you apply to? I swear the applications opened at the beginning of November...
London/Dublin. I have just checked again and I sent the STEP application on 23/10.

(Original post by index123)
Did you get an offer? Also, did you have any graphs questions?
Not yet, no hosts have yet to approach me.
index123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you have any graphs, recursion, dynamic programming, bit manipulation problems? I heard that the STEP interview is supposed to be easier than a regular one. Also, are you a first year CompSci student?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Did you have any graphs, recursion, dynamic programming, bit manipulation problems? I heard that the STEP interview is supposed to be easier than a regular one. Also, are you a first year CompSci student?
Didn't have any of those (but you may). I think that they are easier compared to the SE/SR Internship that they offer as their interview preparation advice contained a lot more information to prepare than what I was actually tested on.
index123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Didn't have any of those (but you may). I think that they are easier compared to the SE/SR Internship that they offer as their interview preparation advice contained a lot more information to prepare than what I was actually tested on.
How about linked lists? Also, what programming language did you use during your interview?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
How about linked lists? Also, what programming language did you use during your interview?
I didn't get a question on that but I can imagine that would be an appropriate question for this level.

I did mine java, i think you get the choice of Java, python, Go and one other.
Seanmullan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I applied for STEP and filled out my candidate preference questionnaire just before Christmas. Just wondering how long it took for you to hear from them after you filled out your preference questionnaire? And I assume they had a bit of a break over Christmas so it will take slightly longer for me to hear.

Thanks!
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seanmullan)
Hi, I applied for STEP and filled out my candidate preference questionnaire just before Christmas. Just wondering how long it took for you to hear from them after you filled out your preference questionnaire? And I assume they had a bit of a break over Christmas so it will take slightly longer for me to hear.

Thanks!
Hi,

It took just over a week when google replied asking me to arrange my technical interviews.

You would be correct in assuming that it would be taking longer, I have been in contact with the recruiter over the Christmas period and she informed that the whole STEP process is on a break until the new year, so you could get response any day now!
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Just a little update:

I got a project matching call request this morning for Google Play. I'm going to arrange this for Friday or next week.
sssss5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do you know how many students they are going to accept ?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
(Original post by sssss5)
do you know how many students they are going to accept ?
No, but there's one student for every other as they work in 'pods' of 2.
fletcn
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I applied on 3 December 2017. I haven't heard back. I still couldn't get any answer even a rejection mail. Was 3 december too late? I saw some posts in the last year's discussion. They say If you have waited this long, you are probably rejected...

"
Well, I haven't heard back either, and for the people who haven't heard back...I got some bad news, you're not going to hear back. If you've waited this long and haven't heard back it probably means you're rejected. I applied last year as-well and never heard back so gg.
"

Princepieman, I saw your posts in the last year's discussion. Had you received an answer last year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (44)
17.96%
No one else does (79)
32.24%
I'm embarrassed about my background (26)
10.61%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (83)
33.88%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.22%
I don't have a camera (5)
2.04%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.04%

Watched Threads