The Student Room Group

Why do people celebrate christmas?

It's the only time of year all my mates are back in the same place these days, so whatever you (or I) think of 'Christmas' as such, the idea of it as simply a winter festival works for me.
Because it's a happy holiday where family and friends come together? Most don't care that much about the backstory.
Reply 2
your opinion.
i agree it is a made up story but people like holidays, gives them something to look forward to. i always give the tortured bird a miss at christmas though
Tradition, cultural heritage and bringing together families which are spread over the world.

For children, it's the excitement, anticipation and magic of the nativity and the story of St Nicholas. Of showing love with the giving of (but mostly receiving) presents. Making a fairy story seem real (as fairy tales ever will) for them. For adults, it's the build up to a special celebration where families get together and over-indulge whilst re-establishing family bonds and catching up in a convivial atmosphere.

It's the one date in the calendar which needs no reminding.
I couldn't care less for the religious aspect as an atheist myself, but as a species we are social and generally speaking enjoy the process of giving and receiving gifts. It makes sense that we would invent excuses to do so, and, well, I'm not complaining.
Why celebrate anything?
Reply 7
i find it's just a tradition for everyone these days...loads of people that celebrate it aren't even remotely christian and couldn't give a flying f*** about the story. It's become a time to celebrate with family,have a nice big dinner together and then destroy those happy moments with a game of monopoly! :smile:
I don't. What i do celebrate, is the fact that i have a day off school and can laze around. Plus there's boxing day the day after, so why can't i celebrate in glee that things will become cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest