The Student Room Group

Is eating a live mealworm cruel?

There was this thing at lunchtime today organised by a visiting organisation/company.

It sort of mirrored I'm a Celebrity (the trials) as they were offering us live mealworms to eat at lunch like the celebrities do.

A good few of my friends too up the challenge as they were brace, but I didn' as I wasn't! Also, I felt that eating one live was inhumane. Would it have experiences fear/pain etc. when put into someone mouth and eaten alive? I thought it was cruel!
...It's the larva of a beetle... I bet people are going to want all insects to have civil rights soon! :biggrin:

Do you feel bad when you/someone else wacks a fly or steps on a spider in your kitchen?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Jesus Christ in ten years people will think it's cruel to kill bacteria smh...
I mean, there's probably some level of pain (I don't know the anatomy and physiology of a mealworm) being experienced but if humans didn't eat them... something else almost certainly would.
Reply 4
Original post by CTLevers
...It's the larva of a beetle... I bet people are going to want all insects to have civil rights soon! :biggrin:

Do you feel bad when you/someone else wacks a fly or steps on a spider in your kitchen?

Haha - I wouldn't go that far! Although, yes, I probably would feel bad if it was intentional.
Reply 5
Original post by Wellzi
Jesus Christ in ten years people will think it's cruel to kill bacteria smh...

What does 'smh' mean? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
What does 'smh' mean? :smile:

'shaking my head'

Quick Reply

Latest