The Student Room Group

Age gaps in flirting/dating

I am 19 now and consider anyone aged 17-22 in my age range for dating. Do you think 16 and 19 year olds can date? The 3 year gap is alot although they are at the age of consent.
Additionally, is 17 and 15 year olds flirting/dating a problem? I have always considered the 2 year gap to not be a problem but recently I have been thinking about it and felt awfully afraid of any societal backlash. I have always had the impression that people date 2 years above or below at a certain point. When I was 17 I flirted with an occasional 15 year old but once I turned 18 I avoided this heavily.
Reply 1
it honestly depends on you and your S.O, It shouldn't be anybodies concern if you're both comfortable and it is legal. I myself am In a 2 year age gap relationship and it's pretty great.
15 and 17 is wierd, one is doing GCSEs, another is at the next stage of her life and applying to uni

17-22 is abit iffy aswell,
Reply 3
Original post by hannah00
15 and 17 is wierd, one is doing GCSEs, another is at the next stage of her life and applying to uni

My age gap always changed, when I was 17 I didn't even consider past 20. I was flirting with/nearly dating two girls my age, one 16 and one 15 (separate occasions of course).
It all depends on the individuals in question. It's often not the age gap that's the issue, as two years is nothing in most cases. Generally the difference between 16 and 19 is a big one - one is probably at university and the other is still doing their GCSE's, although 17 and 19 doesn't seem to be a problem. It's weird how just one year can make a difference between people thinking it's acceptable and people thinking it's not.

I don't really think 15 year olds should be worrying about dating/relationships at that age regardless.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I agree, the societal backlash on things can be rly affecting. I think a lot of things between teenagers is seen in numbers, and 15+17 doing anything can look bad to some.
Personally, I don't find the age gap between 16 and 19 to be questionable. Maybe that's because of personal experience though. I think the "acceptable" age gap increases as you get older though, however it's down to the individual. I'm 20, and I'd date anyone between 18-27 years old, although generally I prefer people older than myself.
Reply 7
Original post by bilbotrgx
I am 19 now and consider anyone aged 17-22 in my age range for dating. Do you think 16 and 19 year olds can date? The 3 year gap is alot although they are at the age of consent.
Additionally, is 17 and 15 year olds flirting/dating a problem? I have always considered the 2 year gap to not be a problem but recently I have been thinking about it and felt awfully afraid of any societal backlash. I have always had the impression that people date 2 years above or below at a certain point. When I was 17 I flirted with an occasional 15 year old but once I turned 18 I avoided this heavily.

I'm 19 and well ... I would consider everyone younger than say 35-40.
Right now I'm in a relationship with someone who is 28 but he is Asian and he looks like a high school student :tongue:
But to be honest I can't stand chaotic people of my age.
Many of my friends are 5-10 years older too.
Actually the only reason I have age restriction is because the human body starts disintegrating after 40
and I hate the idea that my lover's body disintegrates before mine.

When I was in high-school in Greece 2-3 years was a massive difference ... but now that I'm in Britain studying, I realise everyday that my attitude was and still is holding me back in many aspects of my life (but not age anymore).

I know my comment is a bit out of topic but felt like posting it anyway :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by A-LJLB
Personally, I don't find the age gap between 16 and 19 to be questionable. Maybe that's because of personal experience though. I think the "acceptable" age gap increases as you get older though, however it's down to the individual. I'm 20, and I'd date anyone between 18-27 years old, although generally I prefer people older than myself.

YES!
It might also be the fact that society becomes less and less ageist.
Personally I'd say as long as I see a couple with both of them consenting and older than 16 then it should be acceptable.
Original post by hannah00

If 17 is an adult as you imply, then what is the problem with being with another young adult who is 22.

Likewise, if a 50 year old is going to the 17 year old's college, then they are at the same life stage, so I'm assuming you wouldn't have a problem with that either?
I think its ok but can someone give me advice im currently 16 and the guy im talking to is 18 Its currently febuary rn and his birthday is in may making him 19 however mine is in november i dont know what to do about this should i drop him or nah

Quick Reply

Latest