The Student Room Group

Trying to find a job after 2 years of nothing due to serious life event. Any Advice?

Want to pre-face this by apologizing for how rambly this post is, this has been on my mind for a while and it all sort of came pouring out when I started typing. I'm not looking for sympathy, just advice and maybe some hope from people who've been in similar positions.

Back in 2014, I was the victim of a serious crime at the end of my second year of university. I continued on into my final year and graduated in 2015, however my grades -which were on track to land me a solid 2:1- tanked a little in my final year due to less than stellar attendance (my mental health took a massive hit, I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and became very unwell, in addition to having to deal with a 2-year police procedure to get the person prosecuted in court), but I manage to graduate with a 2:2. I took some time out to focus on the issues surrounding my mental well being (antidepressants, counselling and lots of CBT) to get me back into a position where I felt comfortable leaving my house again.

In 2016 I applied to do a masters degree at the same university I did my undergrad at and was accepted. Unfortunately, I ended up leaving in early January this year, the long story short is I wasn't as ready as I thought I was. In February, I was offered the opportunity to travel abroad for a little while which I grasped with both hands. The experience I gained travelling, while not work related, really helped me and now I'm back home looking for work.

Now I'm not without work experience, I have a number of years working retail, fast food and in theatre (backstage crew), however all this work experience is from 2 years ago before the event brought everything to a standstill.
I haven't heard back from any job I have applied for that has been within the field I studied (science), regardless of what level I apply for (I've been applying for everything from entry-level to graduate) and while I've received a couple of invites for other roles, I've never made it past the first interview stage.

I'm beginning to feel frustrated, I'm finally in a strong position health wise, and am ready to move on and forward with my life, but trying to break into the world of work is proving beyond difficult and I'm beginning to panic as I'm nearly 26 and in a couple of months it'll have been three years since I last had a job of any kind. Has anyone been in this position? Does anyone have any advice for breaking into the working world after illness? I worry that part of what's holding me back is this large gap in my CV, but I don't know how to broach that topic with potential employers and I certainly don't want to start talking about what happened mid-interview, or bring it up out of nowhere.
Original post by Epidity

have you thought of being self-employed ?
(edited 6 years ago)
From this point, I would try to get some volunteering whilst you are applying for work. It will give you more recent work experience to put on your CV as well as increasing your confidence. If potential employers ask you about the gap, you can mention it was down to personal reasons - they shouldn't really probe further if you don't want to tell them.
Original post by Epidity
Want to pre-face this by apologizing for how rambly this post is, this has been on my mind for a while and it all sort of came pouring out when I started typing. I'm not looking for sympathy, just advice and maybe some hope from people who've been in similar positions.

Back in 2014, I was the victim of a serious crime at the end of my second year of university. I continued on into my final year and graduated in 2015, however my grades -which were on track to land me a solid 2:1- tanked a little in my final year due to less than stellar attendance (my mental health took a massive hit, I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and became very unwell, in addition to having to deal with a 2-year police procedure to get the person prosecuted in court), but I manage to graduate with a 2:2. I took some time out to focus on the issues surrounding my mental well being (antidepressants, counselling and lots of CBT) to get me back into a position where I felt comfortable leaving my house again.

In 2016 I applied to do a masters degree at the same university I did my undergrad at and was accepted. Unfortunately, I ended up leaving in early January this year, the long story short is I wasn't as ready as I thought I was. In February, I was offered the opportunity to travel abroad for a little while which I grasped with both hands. The experience I gained travelling, while not work related, really helped me and now I'm back home looking for work.

Now I'm not without work experience, I have a number of years working retail, fast food and in theatre (backstage crew), however all this work experience is from 2 years ago before the event brought everything to a standstill.
I haven't heard back from any job I have applied for that has been within the field I studied (science), regardless of what level I apply for (I've been applying for everything from entry-level to graduate) and while I've received a couple of invites for other roles, I've never made it past the first interview stage.

I'm beginning to feel frustrated, I'm finally in a strong position health wise, and am ready to move on and forward with my life, but trying to break into the world of work is proving beyond difficult and I'm beginning to panic as I'm nearly 26 and in a couple of months it'll have been three years since I last had a job of any kind. Has anyone been in this position? Does anyone have any advice for breaking into the working world after illness? I worry that part of what's holding me back is this large gap in my CV, but I don't know how to broach that topic with potential employers and I certainly don't want to start talking about what happened mid-interview, or bring it up out of nowhere.

I would second cheesecakelove's suggestion of volunteering, I did when looking for work after my Masters degree and it helped enormously in terms of making me feel like I had a purpose, filling in a CV and helping me meet some of the job spec criteria. Also do get your CV checked out and if you do get to interview stage do get feedback, I can tell you now that sometimes the reasons for rejection won't always be apparent to the applicant.
Original post by Epidity

I suggest you 'own' the experience, be brief but upfront about it, and frame yourself as a 'return to work' person.

Be clear in your covering letter by saying something brief and clear like 'Unfortunately, due to a very serious assault and the residual health effects and legal processes, I have been out of the workplace for 2 years. However, I am now fully fit and looking forward to restarting my career in a role such as this'. You might look for employers that have return to work schemes or suggest they consider return to work applicants etc.

Be prepared to take fixed term contracts, make a good impression and try and move to a permanent role from there. Universities, local government and the NHS are often good sources for these roles, they have a relatively high proportion of female workers and therefore regularly need maternity cover.
No matter if you're in college or left uni, it easy for employers to pick an older experienced person to undertake a job with less cost for training but higher pay.However, its surprising foreign security guards think they know the law or just stand there doing nothing and area manager or the company not even give a dam. Try the Security Industry, easy courses super easy exams but a lack of training and crappy exams.It is very rude for interview recruiters not calling back after an interview. At least they should have the decency to call back or an email without founding out for yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending