The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nick98
He applied to Selwyn and he got yesterday only notification at Ucas track that his choice is unsuccessful. What can it means ?

It means he was unsuccessful. Perhaps a letter is on its way but has been delayed.
Original post by themight
Got rejected for Economics at Queens’ :frown:

Hey, I have not been rejected ... I've got an interview for economics next week, but I was wondering if I could get some tips from a fellow economics applicant? (If not I understand, I just was wondering if you thought there was any questions I should be ready to answer in the interview)
Thanks, and good luck with all your other uni applications :smile:
Hi guys!
Anyone else feeling like they are sure to get rejected after their interviews? I totally screwed up mine and all my friends are saying that theirs went well. :frown:
Original post by OerllydSaethwr
Hi guys!
Anyone else feeling like they are sure to get rejected after their interviews? I totally screwed up mine and all my friends are saying that theirs went well. :frown:

Read this thread.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5082346

And I’m sure @Doonesbury will be happy to show you his useful graph that shows a correlation between how a candidate assessed their interview and what result they got. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 44
Hi guys!

Original post by vincrows
Read this thread.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5082346

And I’m sure @Doonesbury will be happy to show you his useful graph that shows a correlation between how a candidate assessed their interview and what result they got. :wink:

It's getting a lot of use today....

Cambridge Interview Outcomes (updated).jpg

:smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
It's getting a lot of use today....

Cambridge Interview Outcomes (updated).jpg

:smile:

Lol
Thanks!

@OerllydSaethwr
So, as you can see, there’s no correlation whatsoever between candidates’ self-assessment and the results. :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Lol
Thanks!

@OerllydSaethwr
So, as you can see, there’s no correlation whatsoever between candidates’ self-assessment and the results. :wink:

Meh, that may be the case in non-scientific subjects, but I'm pretty sure I messed up the easy maths problems they gave me.

What I'm really upset about is the at-interview test. I've applied for CompSci, and I totally couldn't solve the CSAT questions in section B.

(Anyways, I looked up this thread 'cause knowing that I'm not alone makes getting rejected easier to digest. If I sound annoyingly pessimistic, then please don't pay attention to me, I am just a sad wannabe-coder-at-cambridge.)
Meh, that may be the case in non-scientific subjects, but I'm pretty sure I messed up the easy maths problems they gave me.

What I'm really upset about is the at-interview test. I've applied for CompSci, and I totally couldn't solve the CSAT questions in section B.

(Anyways, I looked up this thread 'cause knowing that I'm not alone makes getting rejected easier to digest. If I sound annoyingly pessimistic, then please don't pay attention to me, I am just a sad wannabe-coder-at-cambridge.)

I struggled with the CSAT a lot as well so you're not alone :tongue: kinda disappointed but glad I went for it anyway, and just trying not to think about it until January :wink:

The graph includes candidates for both science/maths and art/Humanities courses, though. :wink:

If the questions you messed up were easy ones but you performed well in other parts of interviews, they’d probably think it’s because of your nerve than your real ability. And they know very well people do get nervous at interview and they won’t punish you for that as long as other parts of your application are strong.

Anyway, no point in dwelling on it now,
And nobody really knows how they actually assess each interview. So not worth second-guessing either. So try not think about it too much.
Wishing you very best of luck. :smile:
Reply 49

Hmm, I wonder what that chart looks like just for the Sciences:

Interview Outcomes - sciences only.jpg

Yup, still zero correlation... :smile:

NB. This is a different chart - with only science applicants.

(@vincrows :wink: )
(edited 6 years ago)

I did CSAT as well, and section B was really difficult - I only got to the end of one problem, but so long as you got a bit into the problems, you can get at least some marks.
Hmm, I wonder what that chart looks like just for the Sciences:

Interview Outcomes - sciences only.jpg

Yup, still zero correlation... :smile:

NB. This is a different chart - with only science applicants.

(@vincrows :wink: )

Is there a place to see all of the data collected by subject or something? Is there a thread about this or?
Reply 52
Original post by gemma.louise
Is there a place to see all of the data collected by subject or something? Is there a thread about this or?

Nope. I have it but I collected it in confidence from previous applicants.

The overall pattern is similar no matter how you cut it. (But are subject to progressively smaller sample sizes)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. I have it but I collected it in confidence from previous applicants.

The overall pattern is similar no matter how you cut it. (But are subject to progressively smaller sample sizes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will you record mine when my decisions come out? xd
Reply 54
Original post by DeltaEpsilonPhi
Will you record mine when my decisions come out? xd

Thanks for, er, offering :smile: but I did the analysis using responses from the 2016 cohort and don't currently plan to repeat the exercise :smile:
Hey kids let’s kick this forum back up
IMG_8892.JPG
aye Doonesbury you can collect my data! Rejected ;_;
Reply 58
Original post by DeltaEpsilonPhi
aye Doonesbury you can collect my data! Rejected ;_;

Sorry to hear that dude.

Here's the thread:
Official Cambridge 2018 Decisions Thread [no discussion]
plot twist: because so many top posters got rejected the rejects thread will be more active than the offer holders thread

Latest

Trending

Trending