The Student Room Group

I had a Stroke last month AMA!

I had a stroke last month and was in hospital from the 20th-31st Oct :smile:

Luckily I spent 22nd-31st on a private ward so had my own room, toliet and shower etc. Made sleeping much easier!

Brief summary of what happened:

17th Oct about 8pm: sudden onset vertigo/nausea. Fine the next morning.

18th Oct about the same time, samething happened. and then I didnt get better. Couldnt eat for two days!

20th Oct: GP came and saw me as I was too ill to go down and see him on the 19th and he rang GWH Swindon after and they sent an Ambulance out but only because I had brain surgery when I was 10!

Getting back on to normal life steadily so AMA!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you agree veganism is now pointless given the Tories declared animals to have no sentience?
sorry to hear that dude :console: hope you are recovering ok :hugs:
Why did it happen at your age?? And how did you know it was coming on?

Hope you're okay!!
Original post by Tubbz
Do you agree veganism is now pointless given the Tories declared animals to have no sentience?

No as animals are sentient. Not that Im a vegan.

Original post by CoolCavy
sorry to hear that dude :console: hope you are recovering ok :hugs:

No problem :hugs: yeah, Im getting there thanks! :smile:

Original post by catsmeow_at_me
Why did it happen at your age?? And how did you know it was coming on?

Hope you're okay!!

Not really sure as I hardly drink and have never smoked, but blood pressure was high in hospital so could be because of that. I do have a genetic condition which can cause high blood pressure as well as it possibly being hereditary as well.

Kind of I guess.

17th Oct. Was just lying in bed watching telly and all of a sudden,I had what I can only describe as onset vertigo and nausea. woke up the next day fine and actually went to an interview and got it.Then the same thing happened that night and On Friday my GP came and saw me at home, prescribed me some drugs but then half an hour later called saying GWH Swindon were sending an Ambulance for me. They did this because when I was 10 Idid have brain surgery so were worried it was something to do with that (it wasnt).
Original post by Jack22031994
No as animals are sentient. Not that Im a vegan.

No problem :hugs: yeah, Im getting there thanks! :smile:

Not really sure as I hardly drink and have never smoked, but blood pressure was high in hospital so could be because of that. I do have a genetic condition which can cause high blood pressure as well as it possibly being hereditary as well.

Kind of I guess.

17th Oct. Was just lying in bed watching telly and all of a sudden,I had what I can only describe as onset vertigo and nausea. woke up the next day fine and actually went to an interview and got it.Then the same thing happened that night and On Friday my GP came and saw me at home, prescribed me some drugs but then half an hour later called saying GWH Swindon were sending an Ambulance for me. They did this because when I was 10 Idid have brain surgery so were worried it was something to do with that (it wasnt).

So they can't find what caused it? Are you worried about it happening again?
Original post by catsmeow_at_me
So they can't find what caused it? Are you worried about it happening again?

They never really said no. Have a test coming up soon though and have had a blood test since I was discharged, so hopefully the results of them will help!

I guess I am but dont want to worry or stress too much as that can cause BP to go up further I guess!
Reply 7
I had a stroke last month and was in hospital from the 20th-31st Oct :smile:

Getting back on to normal life steadily so AMA!

Snap! Had mine when I was 22 a couple of years ago though!
Original post by georgem93
Snap! Had mine when I was 22 a couple of years ago though!

Aww :hugs:

Did you realise you had one straight away? I didnt!

17th Oct about 8pm: sudden onset vertigo/nausea. Fine the next morning.

18th Oct about the same time, samething happened and then I didnt get better. Couldnt eat for two days!

20th Oct: GP came and saw me as I was too ill to go down and see him on the 19th and he rang GWH Swindon after and they sent an Ambulance out but only because I had brain surgery when I was 10!

So I had one at some point. Maybe even 2 mini ones :frown:

Hope you’re doing okay now though!
(edited 6 years ago)
Any more questions?
Any more questions?

How did you know it was a stroke if your symptoms were nausea and vertigo?

I have migraines and the symptoms of those are more what people expect strokes to be, in fact when I first had a migraine they thought I was having a stroke (unable to speak or understand language in any form (aphasia), loss of feeling and movement in my limbs and temporary visual loss) but I was 14 so I was dismissed almost as soon as I got to hospital having migraine with aura and told to sleep it off.

Obviously not all strokes are the same but from those symptoms you described, it didn't sound stroke-like in the way it's described in leaflets or ads (you know the FAST ones where they tell you to look out for characteristic symptoms)
Was it a full on stroke or a mini-stroke (TIA)?
Original post by PollyParrot23

I have migraines and the symptoms of those are more what people expect strokes to be, in fact when I first had a migraine they thought I was having a stroke (unable to speak or understand language in any form (aphasia), loss of feeling and movement in my limbs and temporary visual loss) but I was 14 so I was dismissed almost as soon as I got to hospital having migraine with aura and told to sleep it off.

Obviously not all strokes are the same but from those symptoms you described, it didn't sound stroke-like in the way it's described in leaflets or ads (you know the FAST ones where they tell you to look out for characteristic symptoms)

I didnt know at the time but it was a TIA (mini stroke).

I had it on the Tuesday and wasnt admitted to hospital until the Friday and was there for 11 days. (9 on a private ward which was nice)
Original post by Jenniferann232
Was it a full on stroke or a mini-stroke (TIA)?

TIA of the right cerebellum
Original post by PollyParrot23

I also have migraines with aura, have you found anything to help your symptoms of prevent them?? & how often do you get them? Mine start with a small blind spot in my vision which gradually gets larger and turns into a zigzag C shape in either the left side or right side of my eyes. Also I feel really weird and weak, and get confused and find it hard to explain when im talking and usually lasts about 20-25 minutes.

You have a point, the fact that it was gradual over a few days as well seems a lot more like a migraine than a stroke..
Reply 15
I'm really sorry to hear this, must of been really scary, take care! Hope you feel better soon, and stay strong :h:
Original post by Roy101
I'm really sorry to hear this, must of been really scary, take care! Hope you feel better soon, and stay strong :h:

Cheers Buddy! I wouldnt say scary (at the time) as such as I had no idea at the time. Was a little worried ofc when my GP rang back saying theyve sent an ambulance for you!

I am getting back on my fwet which is good :smile: was a little worried yesterday as was fairly ill buy Im okay today :smile:
glad to hear you are making a good recovery :borat:

ermm do you select middle & leg when you go in to bat ?

:holmes:
Original post by the bear
glad to hear you are making a good recovery :borat:

ermm do you select middle & leg when you go in to bat ?

:holmes:

Cheers!

Ummm... neither as I dont play or know anything about Cricket! :lol:
Cheers!

Ummm... neither as I dont play or know anything about Cricket! :lol:

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest