Should school reports go online? Watch

blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Isn't it the child/student's job to tell their parents what they've been doing in the week and show them their books? And isn't it the parents' job to take an active interest?

Another ridiculous ploy designed to grab headlines, placate parents and further strain teachers.
Me Myself I
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Instead of asking teachers to give more feedback to parents, a better idea in my opinion might be to have more feedback to the students. Having had experience of very small class sizes (no so good for making friends, but amazing for 1 to 1 teaching) and larger ones (more friends, less feedback); I think that for people (not just children) to achieve in what they are studying, they need regular feedback, positive and negative, so as to be aware of what they're doing well and how they could improve in specific areas.

I know I'm primarily talking about those students who care about their school work, but it just might have a positive impact on those that aren't so keen as well; and to be fair, the weekly online report scheme would really only apply to parents who are extremely dedicated to their children's education.

I have been at University (which I know is a totally different ball game from school) for a year and a half now and feel like the lack of feedback on my work is fairly detrimental to my studies (the last essay I got back simply had a mark out of 20 and a comment telling me to double space the lines, nothing else).

I just think that there is not much useful, individual feedback in the majority of secondary schools, and certainly not in Universities. If the Government are keen to increase teacher's work loads in this way (not suggesting they should, half my family are teachers and are run off their feet) then maybe this would be a more appropriate way to do it.
Steffiewoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It wouldn't be updated regularly enough to make it worth it. It could cause parents to worry too much and over-push their children. It would be hard to guarantee the security of the service.
Smoky Jazz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my experience, children who receive bad school reports have parents who don't care, so I can't see this making much difference to current standards of behaviour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.53%
Leave (354)
20.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise