Turn on thread page Beta

AQA AS re-sit module 2 Biology .. watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeh maize adaptations really hard. For the base sequences they were pretty much the same but I think T replaced U or something. For last question I said more develop as males so they may be better predators or something. I think I was wrong on that one. Really annoyed me that there was so much gene technology too! So hard!

ReputationRep:
    what did u put for why it became a pest

ReputationRep:
    i didnt put anything i couldnt think of anything

ReputationRep:
    I just put the fish eats plants in the new underwater environment reducing the crop yield which is a 100% complete waffled guess

ReputationRep:
    I think i did alrightish in the BYA2, and quite well in BYA1 (i resat both =P )

I messed up pretty badly on the Antibody questions, as i almost completely forgot to revise that stuff =/ only went over it briefly a while back and forgot to go over it again

Also some of the DNA based questions i though were pretty nasty, but probably due to my lack of preparation, than the questions being especially bad

I also completely arsed up the one about how the gene produces the enzyme or whatever, my mind went blank, and i started explaining how DNA codes for stuff, then realised that was wrong and crossed it out =/

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I don't know how well I did in this. I got the calculations correct though thank god (I usually slip up on the maths). I had to rush at the end so didn't get to finish the last page properly. The enzyme/gene 6-mark Q stumped me at first but then I realised it was just about protein synthesis i.e. transcription and translation. There was so much about DNA in it! Almost every Q was to do with DNA in some shape or form. Luckily I'd revised that topic really well though. I'm glad not too much on fertilisers came up as I think I lost most marks on that part last year. The FSH/urine one I'm pretty sure I got wrong; I didn't write anything about inhibition; I think I just said that FSH was no longer needed to stimulate the growth of follicles for ovulation so was passed out as a waste material. Hmm. The 6-mark maize and sorghum was alright although like most people here I could only write about the C4 pathway for maize. Ah well. I found the cell cycle Qs a bit puzzling really, so don't think I did too well on that really. I'd learnt DNA fingerprinting really well but no specific Q came up on that. There was nothing on blood goups either and I swear it was the same last year as well.

Hm, I just hope I improve on my E in that module from last year...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone saying there was a lot of gene tech in it; wasn't it mostly DNA and protein synthesis as opposed to gene tech? There were those series of 1 mark Qs on what a vector is or whatever it was, and then one relating to fermentation, but what else?

ReputationRep:
    DNA replication doesn't involve mRNA right. That was a cross and the rest were all ticks?

ReputationRep:
    yeh the rest were ticks, just a question what did people put for the yield question where you had to determine whether it was a valid conclusion or not that the growth of maize was due to an increase in rainfall.
    I put no because it said they used different plots of land in the same state so i thought there would be other factors such as temperature, nutrients in soil, light intensity would affect the growth?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeh I think that's correct. There's a similar thing it asks in statistics. I put that a background variable could be causing the increase in both and gave an example though I've forgotten what it was!

ReputationRep:
    DNA fingerprinting did come up, in the topic of where the mammoth jaw dna was compared to a modern african elephant- had to mention aspects of dna fingerprinting to compare the bands on the x-ray membrane paper thingy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh. Think I messed that question up. I just put that they would produce similar bands of DNA after electrophoresis

ReputationRep:
    Enzymes, enzymes, enzymes. It was so full of enzymes x

ReputationRep:
    In that 6 mark question about sorghum - I remember only putting down c4 photosynthesis- and not much more about its physical features, such as shallow roots? Although I'd gone into depth about the properties of maize and sorghum's c4 photo., would I still have lost marks?

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.