JOURNALISM degree or media, culture, and communications?

Watch
pinksfufff
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Now I know that journalism degrees gets very neg views on this site - however, I am interested in pursuing it as a career path.. But I am concerned about limiting career prospects by just studying journalism.
I have looked at other degrees such as studying international media and communications studies at University of Nottingham, I am interested in learning a language and new cultures so this is of interest to me...
I have even completely changed my personal statement from a journalism focused one - to one that is more broad...
Can someone please enlighten me on what I should do in this situation, and which is the more valuable degree path?
Thank you very much
hshws1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Leila1997)
Now I know that journalism degrees gets very neg views on this site - however, I am interested in pursuing it as a career path.. But I am concerned about limiting career prospects by just studying journalism.
I have looked at other degrees such as studying international media and communications studies at University of Nottingham, I am interested in learning a language and new cultures so this is of interest to me...
I have even completely changed my personal statement from a journalism focused one - to one that is more broad...
Can someone please enlighten me on what I should do in this situation, and which is the more valuable degree path?
Thank you very much
It depends what you want to do after your degree. If you're really sure its journalism then a course in this will give you the most relevant experience. If you want to keep options open a media and comms degree could lead to journalism experience but you'll probably still need to do things like an nctj and relevant work experience after as you wont know as much in that area as someone who did journalism.

I did media and it doesn't always cover much relevant to journalism, especially not print stuff, so look carefully at the modules.

Really media isn't any easier to get a job in than journalism though, both need a lot of experience and hard work, so think about whether its really worth keeping your options open if journalism is your passion.
pinksfufff
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by soylatte91)
It depends what you want to do after your degree. If you're really sure its journalism then a course in this will give you the most relevant experience. If you want to keep options open a media and comms degree could lead to journalism experience but you'll probably still need to do things like an nctj and relevant work experience after as you wont know as much in that area as someone who did journalism.

I did media and it doesn't always cover much relevant to journalism, especially not print stuff, so look carefully at the modules.

Really media isn't any easier to get a job in than journalism though, both need a lot of experience and hard work, so think about whether its really worth keeping your options open if journalism is your passion.
Thank you. Just out of curiousity, what did you do after you studied a media degree? Did you find it was mostly theory based or did you get to do some work experience?
Thanks
hshws1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Leila1997)
Thank you. Just out of curiousity, what did you do after you studied a media degree? Did you find it was mostly theory based or did you get to do some work experience?
Thanks
My degree was media production, so it was very little theory and had a lot of practical experience and opportunities to get extra work experience externally as well, I work in digital comms and other people on my course went on to work in radio, film, tv, teaching, marketing, social media etc. but I'm now doing an MA in media and its ALL theory and totally different.

I got a lot of crap for studying media but a lot of my friends that did more traditional courses don't do anything related to their degree now so I wouldn't worry about what people will think of your course! Have a think about what you really want to get from it and what you enjoy most about the subject and then look for courses with modules that fit that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (139)
62.05%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed