Edexcel Maths C4 - Jan 08 Watch

This discussion is closed.
robot1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

There hasn't been much chat about the upcoming C4 paper.

I just wanted to know how many people are taking the paper and if revision is all going well?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that only a small number of students take the C4 exam in Jan, and those that do, only do it as a retake
thelostchild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm taking it (and not as a retake!) after my college accidentally entered me for it so I had to quickly learn it over the xmas. It's not too bad although it still seems ages away for me
Rei
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thelostchild)
I'm taking it (and not as a retake!) after my college accidentally entered me for it so I had to quickly learn it over the xmas. It's not too bad although it still seems ages away for me
So you're doing c3 aswell?
hmjessop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing it as I do Further Maths and it's the last paper to complete my A2. Got S1 and S2 on Tues to worry about first tho!
Gwilym
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing it this stupidly early because I was doing Further Maths, but dropped out of it because I proper hated it. This is now my last module for my A2, so I go into the exam knowing all my other scores and that I only need 31% (a high U ; an average U isn't good enough) for an A overall
Rei
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gwilym)
I'm doing it this stupidly early because I was doing Further Maths, but dropped out of it because I proper hated it. This is now my last module for my A2, so I go into the exam knowing all my other scores and that I only need 31% (a high U ; an average U isn't good enough) for an A overall
lol at 31% for an A :p:
hmjessop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've already got an A in Maths with 483/500! So technically I don't need to sit C4.
thelostchild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rei)
So you're doing c3 aswell?
yea and M2, its nice to get an A2 out of the way in January
Rei
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hmjessop)
I've already got an A in Maths with 483/500! So technically I don't need to sit C4.
Will you be doing it anyway? lol
Rei
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thelostchild)
yea and M2, its nice to get an A2 out of the way in January
lol, i know what you mean.
Callipygian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah im doing C4 but not as a retake because i do further maths so we did all the core up to c3 and a load of applied units last year. there might be more talk about it closer to the date
hmjessop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rei)
Will you be doing it anyway? lol
Yeah! They shuffle all the applied units around to get you the best marks anyway so I need all the marks I can get.
Ribulose Bisphosphate
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yay! i'm joining you lot in rhe january C4 crew...i wasn't ever doing f. maths...i'm just sitting C4 and S1 this january so i can finish a level maths and be done with it!...that way i can concentrate on my other A2s in the summer...since I got 97 (c1), 98 (c2), 97 (c3), 100 (m1)...i only need to get a total of 88/200 on S1 and C4 combined...that's 44, a mid-level E (so happy!!!)...mind you at this rate im gonna do better on C4 than S1...S1 is really sooo crap (i can't be bothered with it)...i'm happy with myself though because i have taught myself the whole course...
The West Wing
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm in the same position as Gwilym (what a coincidence!) and my school did 5 modules of A level maths last year. I only need 8% though, and I don't plan to work for it!
robot1000
Rep:
?
Can anyone tell me what the rule is of giving multiple answers (different method and different answer) for 1 question.

I was told this by a friend and it seemed very strange that an examiner would only mark the correct answer and ignore the wrong one.

Has anybody else heard of this and if so where can I read about it?
marshmallows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the official mark scheme it says:

6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
7. If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossed out.
8. If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

(Source:Mark Scheme (Final)Summer 2007,GCE Mathematics (6678/01)) This is from a mechanics paper but the title is "General Instructions for Marking".

Make of it what you will.
robot1000
Rep:
?
(Original post by marshmallows)
On the official mark scheme it says:

6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
7. If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossed out.
8. If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

(Source:Mark Scheme (Final)Summer 2007,GCE Mathematics (6678/01)) This is from a mechanics paper but the title is "General Instructions for Marking".

Make of it what you will.
Does it only say that on the M1 mark scheme or does it say that by other modules as well?
marshmallows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As far as I know its only on the M2 mark scheme. Altough I have a sneaky feeling it applies for all modules.
The West Wing
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it definitely apples to all modules, I've known this for a number of years as my former maths teacher was an examiner and made sure we knew about this.
marshmallows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt."

Mwhahaha. This is going to be fun.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise