banter phalanx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've got my interview on the 6th of December but I'm not sure what to expect and how to prepare. If anyone has experienced it specifically for chem eng ls share your views! Much appreciated x

also please don't ask for my grades etc because I really don't want anyone making me feel unconfident
Salmannnn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I had mine a few weeks ago and it was just the interviewer going through an annotated copy of my personal statement and asking me questions on it. I got a few science questions related to my personal statement but they really allow you to guide the interview in a direction you want to talk to about .I take AS Further Maths and noticed they didn’t ask my any maths questions - similar to everyone else I asked that took further maths. However from my knowledge most people without fm got asked maths questions in their interview .
Nylssej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess you'll be on a few tours looking around the department, right? Check out their facilities esp the pilot plant (it's awesome) to see if you like Imperial.
Be prepared for the interviewer to challenge you on your viewpoints during the academic discussion (slightly intense) and when going through your PS because that was what my interviewer did lol. Tbh I was only asked one question on my PS as we kinda ran out of time after the discussion. My interview topic was mainly based on chemistry and nothing on maths or physics (I take further maths), but I guess it varies from different interviewers as well. It seems like different interviewers carry out their interviews in different styles. Mine was purely on conversations, while other people I met on the interview day had questions on pen and paper to answer.
My interview was two weeks ago, and I got an offer from them two days ago.
Good Luck!
banter phalanx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Salmannnn)
Hi, I had mine a few weeks ago and it was just the interviewer going through an annotated copy of my personal statement and asking me questions on it. I got a few science questions related to my personal statement but they really allow you to guide the interview in a direction you want to talk to about .I take AS Further Maths and noticed they didn’t ask my any maths questions - similar to everyone else I asked that took further maths. However from my knowledge most people without fm got asked maths questions in their interview .
Firstly thanks so much for responding!

I feel that when it comes to imperial there's a lack of information about preparation for the interview in comparison with oxbridge.

I took AS fm last year but decided to drop at A2 because it was a 4th A level.
This is really helpful advice so thanks so much and hopefully you get an offer soon!
banter phalanx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylssej)
I guess you'll be on a few tours looking around the department, right? Check out their facilities esp the pilot plant (it's awesome) to see if you like Imperial.
Be prepared for the interviewer to challenge you on your viewpoints during the academic discussion (slightly intense) and when going through your PS because that was what my interviewer did lol. Tbh I was only asked one question on my PS as we kinda ran out of time after the discussion. My interview topic was mainly based on chemistry and nothing on maths or physics (I take further maths), but I guess it varies from different interviewers as well. It seems like different interviewers carry out their interviews in different styles. Mine was purely on conversations, while other people I met on the interview day had questions on pen and paper to answer.
My interview was two weeks ago, and I got an offer from them two days ago.
Good Luck!
Yeah in the invite email they said there'll be a couple tours going on. I went to imperial on an open day and saw the pilot plant (pretty breathtaking) and got the impression that icl is just fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and congratulations on getting an offer! This has been super reassuring and I wish you all the best in your exams

Just a side note: on the website it says the typical offer was 3 A*s. Is this the sort of offer you were made or similar? I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw this (its higher than cambridge?!) I even called to double check.
Nylssej
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by banter phalanx)
Yeah in the invite email they said there'll be a couple tours going on. I went to imperial on an open day and saw the pilot plant (pretty breathtaking) and got the impression that icl is just fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and congratulations on getting an offer! This has been super reassuring and I wish you all the best in your exams

Just a side note: on the website it says the typical offer was 3 A*s. Is this the sort of offer you were made or similar? I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw this (its higher than cambridge?!) I even called to double check.
Thank you! My offer is A*A*AA (I'm doing four subjects), and they even specify which subjs they wanted A*s in, so ikr it's pretty daunting! Hope you had a good time at Imperial, and Good Luck if you haven't heard from them
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Salmannnn)
Did u get an offer if u don’t mind me asking ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.22%
No (617)
50.78%

Watched Threads