Triple science for GCSE to become doctor Watch

Abi123404
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In my school , the whole year needs to take a test to get into triple science class. Only 60 people get chosen. I was chosen and I was really excited. But now i'm struggling in lessons and i'm achieving low grades. The 60 people that got chosen have to take triple science (2 lessons bio, 2 lessons chem and 2 lessons phy). The rest of the students do combined science (4 lessons). I do alright in lessons but when it comes to test I do bad.

Would I need triple science to become a doctor? I'm planning to quit triple science. Am I making the right choice?
Would I get into good 6th form?
qam
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you can do medicine without triple science , double award also works , you may want to check undergraduate medicine degrees GCSE requirements for any potential universities you apply to , just make sure you dont do Btec science
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abi123404)
In my school , the whole year needs to take a test to get into triple science class. Only 60 people get chosen. I was chosen and I was really excited. But now i'm struggling in lessons and i'm achieving low grades.

Would I need triple science to become a doctor? I'm planning to quit triple science. Am I making the right choice?
You don't need triple science in order to become a medic.

Triple is great fun. Stick with it
Abi123404
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
You don't need triple science in order to become a medic.

Triple is great fun. Stick with it
I'm achieving really bad grades tho. When I say bad... I mean like worst in the class.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm achieving really bad grades tho. When I say bad... I mean like worst in the class.
Are you getting good grades in additional? Triple isn't that much harder.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Abi123404
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Are you getting good grades in additional? Triple isn't that much harder.
The 60 people that got chosen have to take triple science (2 lessons bio, 2 lessons chem and 2 lessons phy ). The rest of the students do combined science (4 lessons). I do alright in lessons but when it comes to test I do bad.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 60 people that got chosen have to take triple science (2 lessons bio, 2 lessons chem and 2 lessons phy ). The rest of the students do combined science (4 lessons). I do alright in lessons but when it comes to test I do bad.
Are you revising using past papers?
gomgossa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to take chemistry a level to study medicine (to become a doctor) and biology would be helpful- as a year 12 student I can say that taking triple science has put me at a big advantage because stuff I studied in aqa unit 3 bio/chem are appearing pretty frequently. It's just less work getting to grips with everything at this stage because I already worked on it earlier.
I know you're struggling, but keep in mind that a-level will be much harder and if you learn to overcome your difficulties now and work at it then you will be much more prepared. Think of gcses more as preparation for a-levels, instead of thinking 'ok well I'm doing badly now but that doesn't matter, I'll just step up my game for a-levels' because it is just much easier to work hard now.
I think you can do it- remember there was a reason you were chosen for triple, so you have the ability to do very well :-) There is still lots of time before the exams and nobody who works very hard will come out with a poor grade. Like Blue_Cow said, there is not much difference between triple and additional- just a little more memorising.
Good luck with your decision, either way.
phosphene
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like taking triple science is just too much work. We get so much hw. The stuff we learn won't stay in my head when it comes to tests.
if you struggle that much now then how would you be able to cope with a levels in bio, chem and probably maths?
definitely stay in triple if you want to do medicine, any prospective medicine student should be able to deal with the workload of tri sci. also, bear in mind that additional isn't that different - you wont start doing the triple science content until the end of year 11, so what you are doing right now is just additional science work.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let me state it obviously, because it's not really being underpinned by others here:

1) As long as you get the grades, it does not matter whether you do Triple Science or Double, literally none at all, as long as you are eligible, get an A, and get into the A Levels needed, i.e Chemistry and Biology, it really isn't necessary at all.

2) Whilst it isn't needed, it does give good background knowledge. It gives you a slightly better footing for A Level, but I'll explain why this is only slight in a minute.

3) At A Level, everything is taught from the ground up. Why do you think a lot of people who get A*s in sciences GCSEs don't fare as well initially in the first science tests? That's because pretty much all of it is new, look at how poorly Chemistry is taught at GCSE level, they had to straight up lie at points in order to compress it enough to be comprehended by a 14-16 year old, you really think they're going to be teaching about infrared spectroscopy in Y10? No.

They teach it from the ground up, the only 'advantage' that Triple gives you is that by teaching units like C5/6, P5/6, B5/6 etc, that you have slightly more background knowledge than others on the subject, by no means does this make them immediately better, because a lot of the content that this is based on is either very dumbed down or straight up misguided.

However slight point here, whilst triple at GCSE is indeed harder than double, as someone who intends to do STEM for A Level, especially something like Chemistry, which is a real pain if not properly catered for at A Level, if you're dedicated enough to take 2 STEM A levels, then I would expect you be dedicated enough to push through a triple GCSE.

My TL;DR: if you're finding it hard then drop to double, but don't expect a levels to be any easier.
Awol Nerd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my school , the whole year needs to take a test to get into triple science class. Only 60 people get chosen. I was chosen and I was really excited. But now i'm struggling in lessons and i'm achieving low grades. The 60 people that got chosen have to take triple science (2 lessons bio, 2 lessons chem and 2 lessons phy). The rest of the students do combined science (4 lessons). I do alright in lessons but when it comes to test I do bad.

I'm doing triple too and a quarter way through year 9, I was wondering if I should quit it because I was so stressed out like you, with pretty low grades. Eventually I decided not to quit, and I don't regret my decision. In my experience, those that do triple science get higher tier stuff so it'll look really good on your application to university, specially because you want to be a doctor. Also, it's a lot more fun because there isn't any limitations to how much you learn. Plus, more science lessons (I love science ).

I think you should give yourself more time. If you're in year 9, then your grade will eventually improve (it did with me and my class). If you're in year 10 or 11, it's a bit pointless quitting because you'll have gone pretty far into the course, so you might as well finish it off.

However, if you really do feel like it's stressing you out too much, I can assure you that you don't necassarily need triple to become a doctor. I have a friend who went into uni to become a pediatrician even if she didn't take triple science. As long as you have good grades on your science grades (I think the required minimum grade to become a doctor in science is a B), then you should be fine.

Good luck with your GCSEs!
cheesydon123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why else would you get picked for triple science if you weren t clever enough..but combined science is quite good as you still gettwo GCSE,but if you want to go to be a doctor or something to do with medicine then you just have to go to medical school.so at the end of the day its your choice
hajima
Badges: 13
Report 1 year ago
Triple Science isn't that hard, it's just Additional Science with some harder topics thrown in.

If you're seriously struggling for whatever reason then ask to drop out or swap if it counted as one of your options, but really just stick with it and make sure you're revising efficiently and regularly before tests.
peeked
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As hajima said, triple science isn't that hard. If you are struggling then just go over the work you did. It's basically the same as double science with a few more topics. It will give you an extra GCSE as well which would be helpful.
futuremedic34
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you dont want to do it dont do it. I didnt do triple science and am doing Biology and Chemistry at A level (Predicted A's in both) and applied to medicine. You will need to put in more work than others at first, though that never bothered me as I generally study more than the average person anyway! I remeber in the first lesson being stuck on ionic equations because we had never done them at GCSE for chemistry. It was frustrating but I got over it! After a while it wont matter at all if you did double or triple. I would always advise a meducine applicant to do double and do better than to do triple and do average!
ethistu7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Slog through it!

With Medicine, life will be one great study. I know, because I’m planning to go that way myself! You can still do the degree with either choice you’ve mentioned at GCSE, but you might as well do triple and focus on attending extra sessions/asking your teachers for help to save yourself the harder work later.
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hiya,
- don't let test results discourage you!
They just mean that your revision technique isn't effective.

The best method to revise by my personal experience is through past exam papers.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise