studiis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
considering taking York university's English in Education BA course as i'd like to become an english primary teacher

would this be a good course to take/would it allow me to become a teacher? or would English BA be better?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe primary education normally requires specific degree programmes to enter, unlike secondary education (where any subject degree, followed by a related subject specific PGCE). I've requested this be moved to the education subject and teacher training forum, as people there are more likely to know
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why not give York University a ring and ask?
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by studiis)
considering taking York university's English in Education BA course as i'd like to become an english primary teacher

would this be a good course to take/would it allow me to become a teacher? or would English BA be better?
It doesn’t provide you with Qualified Teacher Status, so you’d need to do a Primary PGCE afterwards. So if your passion is English, it’s arguably better to do the BA English degree as that could also lead to doing a Primary PGCE; there aren’t any subject requirements for entry to Primary PGCEs (other than perhaps an encouragement of a national curriculum subject, but even then typically not compulsory), so don’t feel obligated to do an education subject.
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I believe primary education normally requires specific degree programmes to enter, unlike secondary education (where any subject degree, followed by a related subject specific PGCE). I've requested this be moved to the education subject and teacher training forum, as people there are more likely to know
It’s usually the opposite. Secondary programmes normally require at least 50% of your degree to relate to your PGCE subject, whereas the majority of Primary PGCEs allow any degree, though some state a preference for (any) national curriculum subject.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

By English primary teacher do you mean primary school teacher in an English primary school or just teaching English in a primary school? If the latter then its unusual to just teach English in a primary school, typically you have to teach most subjects apart from Music, PE and sometimes languages.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Considering taking York university's English in Education BA course as i'd like to become an english primary teacher

In this case, I'd say that there is little difference between the two courses which would impact on you being able to teach. Much less so than the classification of the degree.

As others have said, you would have to pursue some method of QTS, either through a PGCE or alternative routes, but that's pretty common.:yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (646)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.61%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads