The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Further Maths New

If I were to sit an AS qualification and sat the papers Core Pure Maths 2 and Further Pure Maths 1 with Further Mechanics for an AS, how many other papers except Core Pure Maths 2 can I sit for a full A-Level?

@Notnek
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Black Water
If I were to sit an AS qualification and sat the papers Core Pure Maths 2 and Further Pure Maths 1 with Further Mechanics for an AS, how many other papers except Core Pure Maths 2 can I sit for a full A-Level?

@Notnek

Are you aware that AS Level and A Level are completely separate now? So any exam you take for AS won't contribute at all to the A Level. There are no AS Level exams that are also A Level exams.

You can't take Core Pure Maths 2 for AS since it is an A Level exam. I recommend reading through the AS spec if you haven't already. Something like Further Pure Mathematics 1 in AS is not the same as Further Pure Mathematics 1 in A Level. The AS exam is half of the content.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Are you aware that AS Level and A Level are completely separate now? So any exam you take for AS won't contribute at all to the A Level. There are no AS Level exams that are also A Level exams.

You can't take Core Pure Maths 2 for AS since it is an A Level exam. I recommend reading through the AS spec if you haven't already. Something like Further Pure Mathematics 1 in AS is not the same as Further Pure Mathematics 1 in A Level. The AS exam is half of the content.

Right this is a bit confusing. I get that AS doesn’t contribute towards a full A-Level and that it is a Seperate qualification, but can I ask what exams can be taken for AS and then for A-Level? It doesn’t matter if it’s statistics or Mechanics etc.
Reply 3
For a full A-Level you need to sit A Level Core Pure 1, A Level Core Pure 2 and then two of the A Level option papers (mechanics, decision etc). These are different to the AS Level Core Pure and option papers, as they contain additional content. The papers you have already sat I think will give you an AS Level (I think), but this doesn't count towards the A Level at all - they're a completely separate set of exams (with the same topic names)

Quick Reply

Latest