The Student Room Group

Instructor to show me

I'm currently on my driving lessons, about 4 weeks into it, Is it possible to ask my instructor to show me everything in the Highway code? Because i'm struggling to learn from the book
Original post by DarkMaGiicS
I'm currently on my driving lessons, about 4 weeks into it, Is it possible to ask my instructor to show me everything in the Highway code? Because i'm struggling to learn from the book

What does this even mean?

How do you show someone everything in the highway code?

Your instructor should teach you everything that's required for you to pass the test. If you're confused about a specific rule in the highway code, just ask your instructor and he/she will be more than happy to elaborate.
(edited 6 years ago)

You don't need to "learn" the highway code. If you want it for the theory test then there are plenty of apps available.

It is good to know lots of the highway code, but not essential and you will learn most of it just by driving naturally.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
What does this even mean?

How do you show someone everything in the highway code?

Your instructor should teach you everything that's required for you to pass the test. If you're confused about a specific rule in the highway code, just ask your instructor and he/she will be more than happy to elaborate.

Original post by zeldor711
You don't need to "learn" the highway code. If you want it for the theory test then there are plenty of apps available.

It is good to know lots of the highway code, but not essential and you will learn most of it just by driving naturally.

Sorry i didn't put it better.
I have trouble reading, So i'v tried reading the "Highway Code" and used some apps, As finding it hard to read, I'm finding it hard to to understand the rules, Is there anything my instructor can do to help me with the highway code, or theory test questions?

So sorry once again!
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry i didn't put it better.
I have trouble reading, So i'v tried reading the "Highway Code" and used some apps, As finding it hard to read, I'm finding it hard to to understand the rules, Is there anything my instructor can do to help me with the highway code, or theory test questions?

So sorry once again!

Lol, don't be sorry. I'm guility of not making sense a lot of the time.

With the theory test, you can practice using an app. When I did my theory last year, I paid 2.99 for one and I found it much better than the books (I owned all 3 DVSA books: highway code, driving manual and know your traffic signs).

You don't need to memorise the rules - a lot of them are common sense and come down to some fundamental principles e.g. always give way to the right etc. etc.

Like I said before, if there are any specific rules in the highway code that you do not understand, ask your instructor!
Reply 5
Lol, don't be sorry. I'm guility of not making sense a lot of the time.

With the theory test, you can practice using an app. When I did my theory last year, I paid 2.99 for one and I found it much better than the books (I owned all 3 DVSA books: highway code, driving manual and know your traffic signs).

You don't need to memorise the rules - a lot of them are common sense and come down to some fundamental principles e.g. always give way to the right etc. etc.

Like I said before, if there are any specific rules in the highway code that you do not understand, ask your instructor!

I'v got the 3-in-1 app, I go through questions and i just not learning. I try reading them, and just can't
I'v got the 3-in-1 app, I go through questions and i just not learning. I try reading them, and just can't

I mean, if you're well-heeled, you could hire your instructor (at the same hourly rate) to literally sit down and go through the entire book with you...

Which rules are you specifically struggling with? A lot of the highway code is just common sense.
Don't overly stress. Its not like a school exam where you have to learn every inch of the textbook. You just need to try and understand it. I believe there's some good videos on YouTube some instructors have made to help visualise aspects of it.
Reply 8
Original post by xEmilyxx
Don't overly stress. Its not like a school exam where you have to learn every inch of the textbook. You just need to try and understand it. I believe there's some good videos on YouTube some instructors have made to help visualise aspects of it.

I'm more stressed/worried about the theory test, Not knowing any of the questions
Reply 9
I mean, if you're well-heeled, you could hire your instructor (at the same hourly rate) to literally sit down and go through the entire book with you...

Which rules are you specifically struggling with? A lot of the highway code is just common sense.

Most of it tbh, The theory is getting to me, Because i can't read the book/apps, Am i gonna past knowing that i know nothing in the books/apps
Most of it tbh, The theory is getting to me, Because i can't read the book/apps, Am i gonna past knowing that i know nothing in the books/apps

You can probably pass by just using common sense on its own, to be honest.

With all due respect is this due to disability? Because otherwise; the entire test is multiple choice you tick boxes and you can literally be out of there in 15 minutes. It doesn't get simpler than this; because I think a half written test would definitely give everyone who hasn't passed cause for concern.
Original post by nevershear
With all due respect is this due to disability? Because otherwise; the entire test is multiple choice you tick boxes and you can literally be out of there in 15 minutes. It doesn't get simpler than this; because I think a half written test would definitely give everyone who hasn't passed cause for concern.

Yes, I have mentalhealth, such as ADHD,
Yes, I have mentalhealth, such as ADHD,

Ah right I see, fair enough mate. I take it something like an audiobook not much good for you or?

Quick Reply