Tattooed lecturer/A-level teacher Watch

username2965604
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I would really like to teach students from Year 12 to degree level but I also would like tattoos. I'm currently in Year 13, and I'm not going to get a tattoo until I've fully planned it out, and I'm 110% certain it's what I want, etc. I want tattoos on my thighs, chest and shoulder area (ending no further than mid-way between shoulder and elbow). These of course are places where I can cover up with a shirt and blazer. However, that's not to say that as I get older, I may consider getting a tattoo below my elbow, or that ends slightly below it.

I know that some places won't hire a person, even if they can cover up their body modifications because of the reputation of the place of work.

So, my question is whether having a tattoo as a lecturer/A-level teacher is problematic or accepted? I doubt it would be a problem in the autumn/winter season as the suit would cover it up, but in a thin shirt in the summer months would some tattoos be visible?

I feel like I may be over-complicating the last question.
Thanks
mariejuana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My gcse maths teacher had a tattoo on her hand and it's visible. you're fine
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only get them in places you can cover up.
username2965604
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by mariejuana)
My gcse maths teacher had a tattoo on her hand and it's visible. you're fine
Thanks
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It really depends on the school/college. Private ones will generally speaking take a somewhat dimmer view on them but if they're not especially noticeable who knows
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Avoid hands, face and neck and you will be fine. I teach in a university and I'm covered in visible tattoos (though not on my hands, face or neck) - it has never been mentioned.
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by B.Reid)
Hi,
I would really like to teach students from Year 12 to degree level but I also would like tattoos. I'm currently in Year 13, and I'm not going to get a tattoo until I've fully planned it out, and I'm 110% certain it's what I want, etc. I want tattoos on my thighs, chest and shoulder area (ending no further than mid-way between shoulder and elbow). These of course are places where I can cover up with a shirt and blazer. However, that's not to say that as I get older, I may consider getting a tattoo below my elbow, or that ends slightly below it.

I know that some places won't hire a person, even if they can cover up their body modifications because of the reputation of the place of work.

So, my question is whether having a tattoo as a lecturer/A-level teacher is problematic or accepted? I doubt it would be a problem in the autumn/winter season as the suit would cover it up, but in a thin shirt in the summer months would some tattoos be visible?

I feel like I may be over-complicating the last question.
Thanks
Just not on your face and hands, everywhere else is fine. I have two lower arm tattoos and have had 3 jobs and passed many interviews. They've never been an issue ever.
dylanstudies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can't even count on 2 hands how many teachers I've had through all stages of my education with visible tattoos. I think it's alright, just not neck/face/hands.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It really depends. Some institutions will be quite modern and accepting and others will be very conservative. Tattoos are becoming more normal. However you do have to be aware of what you get i.e. it's better if they can be covered. Or keep anything visible very small. Avoid anything potentially offensive to anyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.13%
Not great so far... (227)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.24%

Watched Threads